Sewing Room Boutique
Stitch this quilt to brighten a corner in your sewing room or use the alternate flower motif to add a cheery touch to any room.
Skill Level: Intermediate Quilt Size: 32" x 32" Block Size: 6"x 6" Number of Blocks: 13
• 1 fat eighth yellow tonal
• 1 fat eighth each red, orange, pink, purple, blue and turquoise tonals
• 1 fat quarter each light and dark green tonals
• 1 fat quarter medium brown tonal
• 1 fat quarter light brown print
• 1 fat quarter dark brown print
• 3/4 yard light tan dot
• 11/4 yards backing
• Batting 40" x 40"
• Thread to match fabrics and rickrack
• Black thread
• 12 (7⁄16") cover button kits
• 12 (1/4") black buttons
• 1 package (21/2 yards) medium green rickrack
• 1/4 yard lightweight fusible web
• Fabric glue stick
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
An alternate flower motif is given that may be appliquéd on the corner squares instead of the pincushion motif. Refer to the photo of the sample for color suggestions.
Cutting From yellow tonal:
• Cut 1 (31/2") A square.
• Cut 12 button covers for flower centers as per manufacturer’s instructions.
From the red, orange, pink, purple, blue & turquoise tonals:
• Cut 1 (31/2") A square each fabric.
• Cut 2 (51/2"-diameter) yo-yo circles from each fabric (total 12).
• Cut appliqué pieces from red tonal as per instructions and pattern.
From light & dark green tonals:
• Cut 1 (31/2") A square each fabric.
• Cut 21/4"-wide strips of varying lengths from each fabric to make 138" binding when joined.
• Cut appliqué pieces from dark green tonal as per instructions and pattern.
From medium brown tonal:
• Cut 3 (23⁄8" x 21") strips. Subcut into 18 (23⁄8") squares; cut each square in half on 1 diagonal to make 36 D triangles.
• Cut 2 (31/2" x 21") strips. Subcut into 18 (2" x 31/2") C rectangles.
From light brown print:
• Cut 2 (61/2" x 21") strips. Subcut into 4 (61/2") I squares.
From dark brown print:
• Cut 2 (11/2" x 181/2") F strips.
• Cut 2 (11/2" x 201/2") G strips.
From light tan dot:
• Cut 1 (31/2" by fabric width) strip. Subcut into 18 (2" x 31/2") B rectangles.
• Cut 2 (23⁄8" by fabric width) strips. Subcut into 18 (23⁄8") squares; cut each square in half on 1 diagonal to make 36 E triangles.
• Cut 2 (61/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut into 4 (61/2" x 201/2") H strips.
Completing the Spool Blocks
1. Sew a D triangle to an E triangle to make a D-E unit as shown in Figure 1; press seam toward D. Repeat to make 36 D-E units.
2. To complete one Spool block, sew a D-E unit to opposite ends of C to make a C row as shown in Figure 2; press seams toward C. Repeat to make two C rows.
3. Sew B to two opposite sides of A to make the center row as shown in Figure 3; press seams toward B.
4. Sew a C row to opposite sides of the center row to complete one Spool block referring to the block drawing; press seams toward the center row.
5. Repeat steps 2–4 to complete nine Spool blocks.
Completing the Pincushion Blocks
1. Trace the pincushion shape given on page 120 onto the paper side of the fusible web four times, leaving a 1/2" space between shapes; cut out shapes, leaving a margin around each one.
2. Fuse shapes to the wrong side of fabrics as directed on pieces for color; cut out shapes on traced lines. Remove paper backing.
3. Fold and crease each I square to mark the horizontal and vertical centers.
4. Center and fuse a pincushion motif on each I square, layering pieces in numerical order as marked on patterns.
5. Machine blanket-stitch around each shape using thread to match fabrics to complete the Pincushion blocks.
Completing the Top
1. Arrange and join the Spool blocks in three rows of three blocks each; rotate every other block 90 degrees so some spools appear to be on their sides as shown in Placement Diagram. Press seams in adjacent rows in opposite directions.
2. Join the rows to complete the pieced center; press seams in one direction.
3. Sew an F strip to opposite sides and G strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center; press seams toward F and G strips.
4. Cut the rickrack into four equal lengths. Arrange a piece in a gentle curve along the center of each H strip referring to the Placement Diagram; tack in place using a fabric glue stick. Stitch each piece of rickrack in place down the center using matching thread. Trim excess at each end of each strip.
5. Sew an H strip to opposite sides of the pieced center; press seams toward H strips.
6. Sew a Pincushion block to each end of each remaining H strip, keeping the blocks upright in the same direction referring to the Placement Diagram; press seams toward blocks.
7. Sew a block/H strip to the top and bottom of the pieced center, keeping Pincushion blocks upright; press seams toward the block/H strips to complete the top.
Completing the Quilt
1. Finish your quilt following the Quilting Basics on page 124.
2. Quilt as desired.
3. Using black thread, stitch three sets of long lines on each pincushion to simulate pins referring to the pattern for positioning suggestions.
4. Bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 124.
5. To make a yo-yo, turn under 1⁄8" all around the edges of a yo-yo circle; begin gathering stitches close to the fold using a doubled length of
matching thread as shown in Figure 4. Sew all around the circle, fingerpressing the turned edges as you sew. Pull the stitches tightly to gather and close the circle, again referring to Figure 4; smooth and flatten the circle with the hole in the center. Knot and clip the thread to complete one yo-yo, again referring to Figure 4. Repeat to make 12 yo-yos.
6. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to cover the 12 button kits with yellow tonal.
7. Arrange and pin three yo-yos on each H border strip—two on the inside edge of the rickrack and one on the outside edge of the rickrack referring to the Placement Diagram for positioning.
8. Sew a yellow covered button in the center of each yo-yo, attaching the yo-yo to the quilt at the same time. Remove pins.
9. Sew a black button to the top of each simulated pin on the pincushion appliqué to finish.
Sewing Room Boutique Placement Diagram 32" x 32"