Happy Scrappy Houses
Happy thoughts combined with your favorite scraps will keep you inspired while working on this cute wall hanging.
Skill Level: Intermediate Quilt Size: 381/2" x 381/4" Block Size: 91/2" x 73/4" Number of Blocks: 9
• Assorted bright scraps for house motif appliqué
• 9 different scraps or 10" squares prints, solids or tonals
• 18 scraps or 10" squares bright prints
• 1 fat eighth yellow print
• 3⁄8 yard green tonal 5⁄8 yard green floral
• Backing 47" x 47"
• Batting 47" x 47"
• 11/2 yards 18"-wide fusible web
• Optional embellishments as instructed or desired
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
1. Prepare templates for the roof, house, door, window and chimney pieces using patterns given; trace nine each roof, house, door and chimney shapes and 18 window shapes onto the paper side of the fusible web, leaving 1/2" between the shapes. Cut out shapes, leaving 1/4" all around.
2. Fuse shapes to the wrong side of assorted bright scraps chosen for each shape. Cut out shapes on marked lines; remove paper backing.
3. Cut one 10" x 81/4" A rectangle from each of the nine different print, solid or tonal scraps.
4. Cut 12 (21/2" x 10") G strips and six 21/2" x 81/4" H rectangles from 18 bright prints.
5. Cut one 21/2" x 21" yellow print strip. Subcut eight 21/2" I squares.
6. Cut four 21/4" by fabric width green tonal strips for binding.
7. Cut two 31/2" by fabric width green floral strips. Subcut two 31/2" x 313/4" J borders.
8. Cut two 4" by fabric width green floral strips. Subcut two 4" x 39" K borders.
Completing the House Blocks
1. Fold each A rectangle on the 10" sides and crease to mark the center. Fold each house shape in half and crease.
2. To complete one House block, center and fuse a B house rectangle on A as shown in Figure 1.
3. Center an E roof shape overlapping the fused house rectangle 1⁄8" referring to Figure 2. Tuck the chimney behind the roof, again referring to Figure 2. Fuse roof and chimney pieces in place.
4. Fuse a C window shape 1/2" from each side and 13/4" from the bottom edge of the fused house shape as shown in Figure 3. 5. Center and fuse a D door shape on the fused house shape to complete the House block, again referring to Figure 3.
6. Machine buttonhole stitch around each appliqué shape using thread to match fabrics.
7. Repeat steps 4–6 to complete a total of nine House blocks.
Completing the Quilt
1. Select and join three House blocks and add an H strip to each end to make a block row as shown in Figure 4; press seams toward H and in one direction. Repeat to make three block rows.
2. Select and join three G strips and add an I square to each end to make a G-I sashing strip as shown in Figure 5; press seams toward G. Repeat to make four G-I sashing strips.
3. Join the block rows with the G-I sashing strips to complete the pieced center referring to the Placement Diagram; press seams toward the G-I sashing strips.
4. Sew J strips to the sides and K strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center to complete the quilt top.
5. Layer, quilt and bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 124.
6. Embellish each house in a different way referring to the sample quilt photo for ideas. Add lace window treatments, buttons for flowers, birds, pets, snowflakes, etc., to make a really fun and unique quilt.