Add some interest to any wall with this engaging quilt.
Skill Level: Confident Beginner Wall Hanging Size: 32" x 201/4"
• 26 assorted precut 5" squares
• 1⁄3 yard coordinating dark tonal
• 1⁄3 yard gray tonal
• 5⁄8 yard cream tonal
• Backing 40" x 28"
• Batting 40" x 28"
• Neutral-color all-purpose thread
• Quilting thread
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
1. Trim each of nine 5" precut squares to 27⁄8" square; cut each one in half on one diagonal to make 18 C triangles. Set aside one triangle of each fabric for another project.
2. Trim each of two 5" precut squares to 31/4" square; cut each one on both diagonals to make a total of eight E triangles. Set aside three triangles of each fabric for another project.
3. Cut each of the remaining 5" precut squares into four 21/2" A squares to total 60 A squares. Set aside three squares for another project. Note: For more variety, use additional precut squares to make more A squares; choose 57 squares for wall hanging and save extra squares for other projects.
4. Cut two 21/2" by fabric width strips gray tonal. Subcut strips into 68 (3/4" x 21/2") B pieces.
5. Cut two 1" by fabric width strips gray tonal. Subcut each strip into two 1" x 203/4" G strips to total four G strips.
6. Cut one 31/4" by fabric width strip cream tonal. Subcut strip into one 31/4" square. Cut the square on both diagonals to make four F triangles; set aside two triangles.
7. Trim the remainder of the cream tonal 31/4" strip to 27⁄8" and cut six 27⁄8" squares. Subcut each square in half on one diagonal to make a total of 12 D triangles. Set aside one triangle.
8. Cut four 11/2" by fabric width strips cream tonal; cut each strip into two 11/2" x 203/4" H strips to total eight H strips.
9. Cut two 21/2" by fabric width strips cream tonal. From each strip. subcut one each of the following sizes: 21/2" x 71/4" J, 21/2" x 23/4" K, 21/2" x 91/2" L and 21/2" x 5" M. Cut the remainder of strips into one each of the following sizes: 21/2" x 14" N and 21/2" x 113/4" O.
10. Cut three 21/4" by fabric width strips coordinating dark tonal for binding.
Completing the Quilt
1. Select one each C and D triangle; join along the diagonal to make a C-D unit as shown in Figure 1; press seam toward C. Repeat to make a total of nine C-D units.
2. Select one each E and F triangle; join along one short edge of F to make one E-F unit as shown in Figure 2; press seam toward E. Repeat to make a total of two E-F units. 3. Sew a D triangle to an E-F unit as shown in Figure 3 to make one D-E-F unit. Repeat to make a second D-E-F unit.
4. Sew a B strip to one side of an A square to make one A-B unit as shown in Figure 4; press seam toward B. Repeat to make a total of 57 A-B units.
5. Arrange and join five A-B units, one B piece and one C-D unit with J to make row 1 as shown in Figure 5; press seams in one direction.
6. Repeat step 5 with the remaining pieced units and B pieces, adding J, K, L, M, N or O strips to the ends of the joined units to complete the remaining rows as shown in Figure 6; press seams in one direction in each row.
7. Join rows 2 and 3 with a G strip as shown in Figure 7; press seams toward G. Repeat with rows 4 and 5, rows 7 and 8, and rows 9 and 10, again referring to Figure 6. Press seams toward G strips.
8. Arrange and join the rows with the H strips referring to Figure 8 to complete the pieced top; press seams toward H strips.
9. Layer, quilt and bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 124.