Collect lots of batik scraps to make this beautiful bed-size quilt.
Quilt Size: 75" x 90" Block Size: 15" x 15" Number of Blocks: 30
• Light-to-medium batik scraps • Dark batik scraps • 3/4 yard black batik • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • Basic sewing tools and supplies
Cutting From light-to-medium batik scraps:
• Cut 60 (8") B squares. • Cut 90 (43/8") squares. Subcut each in half on 1 diagonal to make 180 C triangles.
From dark batik scraps:
• Cut 30 (8" x 151/2") A rectangles. • Cut 30 (83/8") squares. Subcut each in half on 1 diagonal to make 60 E triangles. • Cut 45 (43/8") squares. Subcut each in half on 1 diagonal to make 90 D triangles.
From black batik:
• Cut 9 (21/4" by fabric width) strips for binding.
Completing the Blocks
1. Mark a diagonal line on the wrong side of each B square.
2. To complete one Batik Bonanza block, place B on one end of A and stitch on the marked line referring to Figure 1; trim seam to 1/4" and press B to the right side.
3. Repeat step 2 with B on the remaining end of A to complete an A-B unit as shown in Figure 2. 4. Sew C to D on the diagonal as shown in Figure 3; press seam toward D. Repeat to make three C-D squares. 5. Join the C-D squares with three C triangles to complete the C-D unit as shown in Figure 4; press seams toward C. 6. Sew an E triangle to each short side of the C-D unit to complete the top unit as shown in Figure 5; press seams toward E. 7. Join the top unit with the A-B unit to complete one Batik Bonanza block referring to the block drawing; press seam toward the A-B unit. 8. Repeat steps 2–7 to complete 30 Batik Bonanza blocks.
Completing the Quilt
1. Arrange and join five blocks to complete a row referring to the Placement Diagram for positioning; press seams in one direction. 2. Repeat step 1 to make six rows, pressing seams in half the rows in one direction and half in the opposite direction.
3. Join the rows, alternating seam pressing, to complete the pieced top.
4. Layer, quilt and bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 109.