Sweet Bouquet Baby Quilt
Create a field of scrappy flowers in fun colors with scrap fabrics.
Skill Level: Beginner Quilt Size: 48" x 63" Block Size: 12" x 12" finished Number of Blocks: 12
• Assorted yellow scraps • Assorted scraps of 12 pink/red tonals or prints at least 13" square • 31 assorted green tonal E rectangles 31/2" x 121/2" • 1/3 yard white-with-green dots • 5/8 yard green dot • 5/8 yard white tonal • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • Pearl cotton Nos. 8, 12 or 16: white, pink, red and yellow • Basic sewing tools and supplies
Cutting From assorted yellow scraps:
• Cut 48 (2") C squares.
From 12 assorted pink/red scraps:
• Cut 4 (61/2") A squares from each scrap.
From white-with-green dots:
• Cut 2 (31/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 20 (31/2") F squares.
From green dot:
• Cut 6 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
From white tonal:
• Cut 5 (2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 96 (2") B squares. • Cut 3 (21/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 48 (21/2") D squares.
Completing the Blocks
1. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of each B, C and D square.
2. Referring to Figure 1, place a marked B square right sides together on one corner of an A square and stitch on the marked line. Trim seam allowance to 1/4" and press B to the right side. 3. Repeat step 2 with a second B square and one each C and D square to complete a total of 48 petal units as shown in Figure 2. Note: Be sure to place D and C at opposite corners. 4. To complete one Bouquet block, select four same-fabric petal units.
5. Join two petals units to make a row referring to Figure 3 for positioning of the B, C and D pieces; press. Repeat to make a second row.
6. Join the two rows as shown in Figure 4 to complete one Bouquet block; press. 7. Repeat steps 4–6 to complete a total of 12 Bouquet blocks.
Completing the Quilt
Refer to the Assembly Diagram for positioning of the blocks, sashing strips and sashing squares as needed.
1. Join three Bouquet blocks with four E rectangles to make a block row; press. Repeat to make a total of four block rows.
2. Join three E rectangles and four F squares to make a sashing row; press. Repeat to make a total of five sashing rows.
3. Join the block rows with the sashing rows to complete the quilt top; press.
4. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 109.
5. Quilt as desired. 6. Transfer the stitching design given on page 70 to each block referring to Figure 5 for positioning. 7. Using a long straight stitch, handstitch circle shapes using yellow pearl cotton and flower petal lines using white, pink or red pearl cotton.
8. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 109 to finish. •