Use beautiful Oriental prints in this easy-to-stitch wall quilt.
Skill Level: Beginner Quilt Size: 42" x 52" Block Size: 8"x 8" Number of Blocks: 12
• 12 Oriental print fat quarters • 3/4 yard black solid • 3/4 yard red tonal • 1 yard white solid • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • Basic sewing tools and supplies
Prepare templates for B and F using patterns given; cut as directed on each piece.
From Oriental print fat quarters:
• Cut 1 (61/2" x 81/2") A rectangle from each fat quarter. • Cut 18 (21/2") H squares.
From white solid:
• Cut 1 (11/2" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 24 (11/2") C squares. • Cut 2 (21/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 24 (21/2") D squares. • Cut 1 (41/2" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 12 (41/2 x 21/2") E rectangles. • Cut 2 (81/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 31 (81/2 x 21/2") G strips.
From black solid:
• Cut 2 (2" x 321/2") I strips. • Cut 3 (2" by fabric width) strips. • Cut 5 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
From red tonal:
• Cut 2 (4" x 351/2") K strips. • Cut 3 (4" by fabric width) strips. • Cut 2 (21/2") H squares.
Completing the Ginger Jar Blocks
1. Align the angled points of B and BR on adjacent corners of A as shown in Figure 1; stitch 1/4" from the edge of B. Trim excess A even with B; press B to the right side. 2. Mark a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of each square. 3. Referring to Figure 2, place C squares right sides together on the remaining corners of A; stitch on the marked lines. Trim seam to 1/4" and press C to the right side to complete an A-B-C unit. Repeat to complete 12 units. 4. Turn under the curved edge of F along seam line; press to hold in place.
5. Place F on E with bottom and side edges aligned; hand- or machinestitch F in place along curved edge. Trim away excess E beneath F. Repeat to make 12 E-F units.
6. Sew D to each end of each E-F unit; press seam toward D.
7. Select units with matching A and F pieces; sew a D-E-F unit to the C sides of an A-B-C unit to complete one Ginger Jar block referring to the block drawing; press seams toward the A-B-C unit. Repeat to make 12 blocks.
Completing the Quilt
1. Join three Ginger Jar blocks with four G strips to make a block row referring to Figure 3; press seams toward G strips. Repeat to make four block rows. 2. Join three G strips with four H squares to make a sashing row, again referring to Figure 3; press seams toward H squares. Repeat to make five sashing rows.
3. Join the block rows with the sashing rows to complete the pieced center; press seams toward the sashing rows. 4. Join the J strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two 2" x 451/2" J strips. Sew an I strip to the top and bottom and J strips to opposite long sides of the pieced center; press seams toward I and J strips.
5. Join the L strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two 4" x 521/2" L strips. Sew a K strip strip to the top and bottom and L strips to opposite long sides of the pieced center; press seams toward K and L strips to complete the pieced top.
6. Layer, quilt and bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 109.