100 Charming Florals
When you can't get enough flowers, you need this quilt! One hundred floral charm squares bloom all year round.
Skill Level: Beginner Quilt Size: 82" x 82" Block Size: 5"x 5" finished Number of Blocks: 100
• 100 assorted precut 51/2" floral A squares • 7/8 yard light green tonal • 31/2 yards total green tonals • 32/3 yards cream solid • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • 11/2 yards 18"-wide fusible web • Basic sewing tools and supplies
Cutting From light green tonal:
• Cut 9 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
From green tonals:
• Cut 400 (3") B squares. • Cut 121 (21/2") D squares.
From cream solid:
• Cut 14 (51/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 220 (21/2" x 51/2") C rectangles. • Cut 8 (51/2" by fabric width) E/F strips.
Completing the Blocks
1. Mark a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of all B squares.
2. Referring to Figure 1, place a marked B square right sides together on opposite corners of an A square and stitch on the marked lines as shown in Figure 1. Trim seams to 1/4" and press B to the right side. 3. Repeat step 2 with B squares on the remaining corners of A to complete one Square-in-a-Square block referring to Figure 2. 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with the remaining A and B squares to complete a total of 100 Square-in-aSquare blocks.
Completing the Quilt
1. Arrange and join 10 Square-ina-Square blocks with 11 C strips to make a block row referring to the Placement Diagram; press seams toward C. Repeat to make a total of 10 block rows. 2. Arrange and join 10 C strips with 11 D squares to make a sashing row referring to the Placement Diagram; press seams toward D squares. Repeat to make a total of 11 sashing rows.
3. Join the block rows with the sashing rows, beginning and ending with a sashing row, to complete the pieced center; press seams toward the sashing rows.
4. Join the E/F strips on the short ends to make a long strip; press seams open. Subcut strip into two 721/2" E strips and two 821/2" F strips.
5. Sew an E strip to the top and bottom, and F strips to opposite sides of the pieced center to complete the quilt top; press seams toward E and F strips.
6. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 109.
7. Quilt as desired.
8. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 109 to finish.