Keselowski, Edwards have different views of feud
INDIANAPOLIS — If anything has been resolved in the Carl Edwards-Brad Keselowski feud, it certainly wasn’t apparent Friday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
The drivers couldn’t even agree on the reasons behind the NASCAR penalties for their last-lap actions in last weekend’s Nationwide Series race in Madison, Ill.
Edwards insisted that he received his penalty — loss of 60 points, a $25,000 fine and probation for the rest of the year — primarily because a number of other cars were wrecked after he intentionally spun Keselowski as the two raced toward the checkered flag.
“When I left the racetrack, everything seemed OK, like that was just a race and that’s how it went,” Edwards said. “As the week went on, I think some other things were brought to light about the other teams and maybe this was a gray area that they needed to address.”
A NASCAR news release issued earlier this week cited “aggressive driving” as the reason for Edwards’ penalties and the probation for Keselowski.
Keselowski was placed on probation for initiating the contact between the two drivers earlier in the lap, NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said.
There will be plenty of opportunities this weekend to see if Edwards and Keselowski can refrain from further dustups.
Cup qualifying for Sunday’s Brickyard 400 begins this morning, and both drivers are scheduled to compete in tonight’s Nationwide Series race at O’Reilly Raceway Park in nearby Clermont, Ind.