Pearl Har­bor marks 71 years since at­tack

30 sur­vivors, 2,000 peo­ple at­tend com­mem­o­ra­tion of U.S. en­try into war.

Austin American-Statesman - - THE SECOND FRONT - Byau­drey Mcavoy RICHARD DREW / AS­SO­CI­ATED PRESS

PEARL HAR­BOR, HAWAII — More than 2,000 peo­ple at Pearl Har­bor and many more around the coun­try marked the 71st an­niver­sary of the Ja­panese at­tack that killed thou­sands of peo­ple and launched the United States into World War II.

The USS Michael Murphy, a re­cently chris­tened ship named af­ter a Pearl Har­bor-based Navy SEAL killed in Afghanistan, sounded its ship’s whis­tle Fri­day to start a moment of si­lence at 7:55 a.m., mark­ing the ex­act time the bomb­ing be­gan in 1941.

Crew mem­bers lined the edge of the Navy guided-mis­sile de­stroyer in the har­bor where the USS Ari­zona and USS Utah, bat­tle­ships that sank in the at­tack, still lie. Hawaii Air Na­tional Guard F-22 jets flew over­head in a spe­cial “miss­ing man” for­ma­tion to break the si­lence.

“Let us re­mem­ber that this is where it all be­gan. Let us re­mem­ber that the arc of his­tory was bent at this place 71 years ago to­day and a gen­er­a­tion of young men and women reached deep and rose up to lead our na­tion to vic­tory,” Rhea Suh, In­te­rior De­part­ment as­sis­tant sec­re­tary, told the crowd. “Let us re­mem­ber and be for­ever grate­ful for all of their sac­ri­fices.”

About 30 sur­vivors, many us­ing walk­ers and canes, at­tended the com­mem­o­ra­tion.

Ed­win Schuler, of San Jose, Calif., said he re­mem­bered go­ing up to the bridge of his ship, the USS Phoenix, to read a book on a bright, sunny Sun­day morn­ing in 1941 when he saw planes drop­ping bombs.

“I thought: ‘Whoa, they’re us­ing big prac­tice bombs.’ I didn’t know,” said Schuler, 91.

Ewalt Shatz, 89, said re­turn­ing to Pearl Har­bor “keeps the spirit go­ing, the remembering of what can hap­pen.”

Shatz, who now lives in River­side, Calif., was on board the USS Pat­ter­son that morn­ing when the alarm sounded. His more ex­pe­ri­enced ship­mates were be­low putting a boiler back to­gether, so Shatz found him­self man­ning a .50-cal­iber ma­chine gun for the first time. The Navy cred­ited him with shoot­ing a Ja­panese plane.

“That was some good shoot­ing,” said U.S. Pa­cific Fleet com­man­der Adm. Ce­cil Haney, who re­counted Shatz’s ex­pe­ri­ence in the key­note ad­dress. “Thank you for your courage and tenac­ity — our na­tion is truly grate­ful.”

The Navy and Na­tional Park Ser­vice hosted the cer­e­monies held in re­mem­brance of the 2,390 ser­vice mem­bers and 49 civil­ians killed in the at­tack.

Fri­day’s event gave spe­cial recog­ni­tion to mem­bers of the Women Air­force Ser­vice Pi­lots, who flew non­com­bat mis­sions dur­ing World War II, and to Ray Emory, a 91-year-old Pearl Har­bor sur­vivor who has pushed to iden­tify the re­mains of un­known ser­vice­men.

Pres­i­dent Barack Obama marked the day on Thurs­day by is­su­ing a pres­i­den­tial procla­ma­tion, call­ing for flags to fly at half-staff on Fri­day and ask­ing all Amer­i­cans to ob­serve the day of re­mem­brance and honor mil­i­tary ser­vice mem­bers and veter­ans.

— A nurse who fell vic­tim to a prank call seek­ing in­for­ma­tion about the Duchess of Cam­bridge’s preg­nancy has died, a hospi­tal said Fri­day.

Jacintha Sal­danha, 46, was found dead early Fri­day at apart­ments af­fil­i­ated with King Ed­ward VII hospi­tal in cen­tral Lon­don, where she worked for four years.

Bri­tish me­dia out­lets, cit­ing un­named sources, re­ported that Sal­danha’s death was a sus­pected sui­cide. Scot­land Yard said the death was be­ing treated “as un­ex­plained.”

2DayFM, the Aus­tralian sta­tion that per­formed the prank Tues­day, said in a state­ment on Face­book and Twit­ter that two disc jock­eys, Mel Greig and Michael Chris­tian, would not re­turn to the sta­tion un­til fur­ther no­tice. They had apol­o­gized for the hoax Wed­nes­day.

Sal­danha took the call by the pair, who im­per­son­ated Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles to elicit in­for­ma­tion on the duchess, the hospi­tal said. Sal­danha later trans­ferred the call to the nurse car­ing for the duchess, who was ad­mit­ted to the hospi­tal Mon­day with acute morn­ing sick­ness.

“Our thoughts and deep­est sym­pa­thies at this time are with her fam­ily and friends,” hospi­tal chief ex­ec­u­tive John Loft­house said in a state­ment. “Ev­ery­one is shocked by the loss of a much loved and val­ued col­league.”

St. James’s Palace, the of­fice of the duchess and her hus­band, Prince Wil­liam, ex­pressed sad­ness at the death, in­sist­ing it had not com­plained about the hoax. “On the con­trary, we of­fered our full and heart­felt sup­port to the nurses in­volved and hospi­tal staff at all times,” the palace said.

Dur­ing the hoax call, a woman us­ing the of­ten­mim­icked voice of Bri­tain’s monarch asked about the duchess’ health. She was told by the sec­ond nurse who took the call from Sal­danha that the duchess, the former Kate Mid­dle­ton, “hasn’t had any retch­ing with me and she’s been sleep­ing on and off.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.