Pesticide sickens 5 at Salvation Army
Five people were hospitalized after becoming nauseated when a jar filled with pesticide broke after falling out of a donation box at a Salvation Army warehouse.
Salvation Army spokesman Pat Patey says that donations were being sorted Wednesday morning when the bottom of a box being carried by a volunteer tore and the jar fell out and broke.
Lt. Joel Lavender of Dallas Fire-Rescue said the pesticide caused an odor that caused some people to feel nauseated.
Patey said the warehouse was evacuated but by late morning they could let people back in. believe the same suspect overpowered a woman in her 80s who answered her door. The suspect also took some of the resident’s personal belongings, but the elderly woman was not injured.
A detailed description of the suspect was not available.