6 kids hurt when gas can ex­plodes

Austin American-Statesman - - COMMUNITY NEWS - — AS­SO­CI­ATED PRESS

Six chil­dren ages 4 to 11 were in­jured by an ex­plo­sion that hap­pened af­ter gas was poured from a can onto an open fire pit.

Four were air­lifted to an area hospi­tal af­ter the Mon­day af­ter­noon ex­plo­sion in McKinney, north of Dal­las. McKinney Fire De­part­ment spokes­woman Sta­cie Durham says the six chil­dren are be­lieved to have been left un­su­per­vised in the back­yard, where a fire was burn­ing. Adults were in­side the home.

Durham said at least one of the chil­dren sprin­kled gaso­line from a can onto the fire and left the can near the pit. She said fumes from the can ig­nited.

All six chil­dren were near the can when it ex­ploded.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.