Fire at propane firm injures 2 firefighters, levels building
Also destroyed in the Rockdale fire were 11 cars, upholstery shop.
A fire that started Friday morning on the property of a Rockdale propane business injured two firefighters, destroyed an almost vacant 12-unit apartment complex, 11 cars and a neighboring auto upholstery shop.
Two firefighters were hospitalized, including one who stepped into a manhole and another who suffered from smoke inhalation, said Herbert Vaughan, the first assistant chief at the Rockdale Volunteer Fire Department. The city is about 60 miles northeast of Austin.
All that was left of the twostory apartment complex around noon Friday were piles of twisted metal, some still smoldering. Smoke filled the air as firefighters walked around the burnedout vehicles.
The fire was started by a heater that the owner of All Service Propane was using in the apartment complex, where he was the only resident, Vaughan said. The apartments, as well as the cars that burned, were all on the propane business’ 5-acre property on Cameron Avenue in Rockdale.
The owner was unable to
Rockdale Assistant Fire Chief Herbert Vaughan examines the ruins Friday of an apartment building and 11 cars on Cameron Avenue after a fire began at All Service Propane. The business’ owner was unable to put out the fire, which spread to an auto upholstery business.
A firefighter works Friday near the remnants of one of the 11 cars destroyed by a fire that leveled a two-story apartment complex on the grounds of All Service Propane. The fire was started by a heater the company’s owner was using in the apartment complex.