Trial by fire: Lawyer’s pants set ablaze
A Miami defense attorney is feeling the heat from his pants catching fire Wednesday after he told jurors during arguments in an arson case that his client’s car spontaneously combusted and wasn’t intentionally set.
As he started speaking to the jury, Stephen Gutierrez, 28, said he noticed his pocket began to feel hot.
“When I checked my pocket, I noticed that the heat was coming from a small e-cigarette battery I had in my pocket,” Gutierrez told the Associated Press via email on Thursday afternoon. He said he had two to three of the batteries in his right pocket.
Gutierrez said he quickly left the courtroom and went to a courthouse bathroom.
“I was able to toss the battery in water after it singed my pocket open,” he said. Gutierrez said the incident was not staged. “No one thinks that a battery left in their pocket is somehow going to ‘explode,’ ” he wrote.