Dry, windy day fuels Central Texas blazes
A large blaze that gutted an apartment building in San Marcos was one of several fires in Central Texas fueled by dry conditions and high winds Thursday.
The fire started about 1:15 p.m. at a building at the Champions Crossing apartment complex on 345 Champion Blvd.,said San Marcos communications director Kristi Wyatt.
About a dozen units were affected by the fire, Wyatt said. No one was immediately reported injured, but San Marcos police were still working Thursday afternoon to account for all the residents of the damaged building.
“The winds are very high today, not the ideal situation to fight a fire,” Wyatt said.
It is unclear how the fire started.
Firefighters in Austin responded to more than 50 small grass fires, many of which started with discarded cigarettes that were not properly extinguished, Austin Battalion Chief Palmer Buck said.
Buck said improperly discarded cigarettes are the number one cause of fires in Austin. Combined with low humidity, windy conditions and plenty of flammable plant matter on the ground, Thursday resulted in a number of fires more common during a summer drought, Buck said.
In Round Rock, Fire Department Lt. Manuel Bruner said he received about 10 calls for small fires in the city as of Thursday afternoon. He and firefighter Brandlyn Gernert extinguished a couple small fires just outside of the Kentucky Fried Chicken at the Round Rock West shopping center on U.S. 79.