Raiders rookie Conley cleared in rape case
Grand jury declines all charges against defensive back.
A grand jury in Cleveland decided not to charge Oakland Raiders rookie Gareon Conley with any crimes after a rape investigation.
Spokesman Ryan Miday of the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office said in a statement Monday that the grand jury declined all possible charges for Conley after being presented the facts and circumstances surrounding the sexual-assault allegations.
“I’m excited for him,” Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said from camp in Napa, California. “It’s tough on a young man like that to go through this. I’m excited for Gareon and the Raiders for the process to work. We’re excited and now we can move forward.”
Conley is a defensive back who starred at Ohio State. He was accused by a 23-year-old woman of sexually assaulting her in a Cleveland hotel room April 9. Conley’s attorney says the sex was consensual. Conley has cooperated with the investigation and said he passed a polygraph test.
Conley signed a fouryear contract Friday with the Raiders, who said they did enough research before the draft to be comfortable with taking Conley with the 24th overall pick.
“We just trusted our process really,” McKenzie said. “We felt going into it with all the information we got it would come out this way. I’m glad it worked out.”
Conley is currently on the physically unable to perform list because of a shin splint. McKenzie said he could be back on the field in a few days once he is able to run without pain.
■ Former Raiders defensive back Dave Grayson died in Alameda, Calif., at 78, the team said. Grayson, who also played for the Texans and Chiefs, had 48 interceptions in 139 games.
Jaguars: Left tackle Branden Albert retired, ending his NFL career after nine seasons and two Pro Bowls.
Albert called it quits following three practices and a brief discussion with coach Doug Marrone.
“He came in and told me that he was talking about retirement,” Marrone said. “And then my mind goes on to the next thing, like, ‘OK, we’ve got to get ready for practice.’”
Albert is the fifth NFL player to retire in the past week, following New England defensive end Rob Ninkovich, Baltimore offensive lineman John Urschel, New England receiver Andrew Hawkins and Denver safety David Bruton Jr.
The Jaguars acquired Albert, 32, in a trade with Miami in March, giving up a seventh-round draft pick in 2018 that Jacksonville now gets back because Albert failed to be on the 53-man roster for at least three regular-season games.
Albert skipped most of Jacksonville’s offseason program because he wanted a new contract. He was scheduled to make $8.8 million in 2017 and $9.5 million in 2018.
He reported for camp last week and spent the first three days of practice splitting first-team repetitions with rookie Cam Robinson, a second-round draft pick from Alabama who now likely will get the job by default.
Steelers: Rookie running back James Conner missed practice while having tests on a shoulder injury sustained Sunday in the first padded workout. Conner also missed time during organized team activities and minicamp with a hamstring problem.
Dolphins: Coach Adam Gase says running back Jay Ajayi is being evaluated for a possible concussion after getting hurt during practice.
Cardinals: Cornerback Tramon Williams got a oneyear contract after spending the last two seasons with Cleveland and eight years with Green Bay.
Broncos: John Bowlen, son of club owner Pat Bowlen, was arrested in California and faces two drunken-driving charges.
Redskins defensive end Jonathan Allen (left) and nose tackle Ziggy Hood mix it up Monday during practice at training camp in Richmond, Va.