Firefighter’s post helps family who lost everything in blaze
Grandmother raising 4 kids overwhelmed by community’s support.
Norma Guardado was at work Friday when she heard that the house in Southeast Austin she’d lived in for roughly 15 years was on fire.
She rushed over to her home in the 4900 block of Savorey Lane and found heavy smoke pouring from the single-story structure. The fire was already under control, but it had completely gutted the property, causing an estimated $150,000 in damage, according to the Austin Fire Department.
For Guardado and her four grandchildren, ranging from 7 months to 9 years old, it was a tragedy. She and the kids lost » most of their possessions and their cat.
“We realized that the grandmother was raising four grandkids and had pretty much lost everything,” said Isaac Saldivar, one of
Norma Guardado, accompanied by her four grandchildren, speaks with Isaac Saldivar, one of the firefighters who helped tackle the blaze at her home, at Saldivar’s fire station in South Austin on Monday. Saldivar used Facebook to solicit donations for the family, the needs of which included a high chair, a playpen, diapers and clothes.
Saldivar helps Max, one of the grandchildren, try on a firefighter helmet. By Monday afternoon, Saldivar had amassed a heap of gifts for the family, including gift cards, toys and other necessities.