Son of slain po­lice of­fi­cer is killed

Trayvon Ch­es­ley was fa­tally shot Fri­day night; his father was mur­dered 10 years ago

Baltimore Sun Sunday - - NEWS - By Jes­sica An­der­son And Justin Fen­ton

Ten years ago, city po­lice De­tec­tive Troy Ch­es­ley was killed in a shoot­ing in North­west Bal­ti­more. Late Fri­day night, his son met a sim­i­lar fate.

Po­lice said Trayvon Ch­es­ley, 22, was fa­tally shot about 11 p.m. in an al­ley be­hind his home in the 3900 block of Wabash Ave. A take­out box and plas­tic foam cup lay near his body, and it ap­peared he was re­turn­ing home af­ter pick­ing up the food.

Ch­es­ley’s father was shot about two miles away on Jan. 9, 2007, as he tried to un­lock the front door of his girl­friend's apart­ment in the 4500 block of Fair­fax Road.

Po­lice said Trayvon Ch­es­ley was shot in the head and body. He was pro­nounced dead on the scene by paramedics.

“This one def­i­nitely hits home,” said Maj. Steven Ward, the com­man­der of the South­ern Dis­trict, who was Troy Ch­es­ley’s su­per­vi­sor and spoke at his funeral. He and Ch­es­ley were as­signed to the de­part­ment's pub­lic hous­ing sec­tion, do­ing un­der­cover drug in­ves­ti­ga­tions.

“I’m kind of speech­less. His father’s death took a lot out of me. And last night, I re­sponded out there. It just brought back a lot,” Ward said Saturday.

At the scene Fri­day night, paramedics stood over Trayvon Ch­es­ley’s body, then placed a white sheet on top of him. A woman stand­ing out­side the crime scene tape sur­rounded by family yelled, “Don't put that on my grand­son!” be­tween sobs.

A young woman ap­proached the scene, asked if the vic­tim was some­one she knew, then ran away scream­ing. From around a nearby cor­ner, she could be heard wail­ing as de­tec­tives in­spected the scene.

“What this city is go­ing through right now, we’re los­ing a lot of young peo­ple. It’s re­ally sense­less,” Ward said. “I love be­ing a po­lice of­fi­cer. I am just so tired of the sense­less mur­ders I see on a daily ba­sis.”

Ward said he had not re­mained close to Trayvon in re­cent years but re­sponded to the shoot­ing Fri­day night when he learned it was Troy Ch­es­ley’s son. “Right now, the whole family is in dis­be­lief. It brings up a lot,” he said.

Trayvon was the sec­ond-old­est of Troy Ch­es­ley’s five chil­dren. The el­dest, Troy Ch­es­ley Jr., is in the Army and sta­tioned at Fort Bliss in Texas. He was try­ing to re­turn to Bal­ti­more on Saturday af­ter learn­ing the news, Ward said.

Trayvon and Troy Jr.’s mother died about three years be­fore their father was killed. Af­ter Troy Ch­es­ley’s death, Ward said, sev­eral mem­bers of the Po­lice De­part­ment stepped in to try to help men­tor the boys and of­fer sup­port. He said he helped ar­range events for Ch­es­ley’s sons, in­clud­ing meet­ing some of the Ravens foot­ball play­ers and at­tend­ing a Washington Wizards bas­ket­ball game.

On Saturday, he posted one im­age to so­cial me­dia of him­self with three of Troy Ch­es­ley’s chil­dren, with a young Trayvon in the mid­dle wear­ing a Wizards T-shirt. “Trayvon is a spit­ting im­age of his father,” Ward said.

Trayvon Ch­es­ley ap­pears to have strug­gled in adult­hood. In 2013, he was charged with at­tempted first-de­gree mur­der but was ac­quit­ted of the charges. He later re­ceived an eight-year sen­tence on gun­re­lated charges, on­line court records show.

A woman leav­ing Trayvon Ch­es­ley’s home de­clined to comment to a re­porter Saturday morn­ing. Two homi­cide de­tec­tives pulled up to the home to give the family an up­date, they said.

The scene is about two blocks from the home of Bal­ti­more Mayor Cather­ine Pugh, who spoke out Saturday against the vi­o­lence across the city. “It may be in my neigh­bor­hood, but the is­sue is that we have too many guns on our streets,” Pugh said. “The vi­o­lence has to stop. We have to get the guns out of peo­ple’s hands who think it’s OK to shoot peo­ple.”

Po­lice have not re­leased any in­for­ma­tion about a sus­pect or mo­tive in Trayvon Ch­es­ley’s death.

Bran­don Grimes, now 31, was con­victed in the killing of Ch­es­ley’s father. Grimes had been ar­rested 17 times, in­clud­ing twice for hand­gun pos­ses­sion be­fore Troy Ch­es­ley’s killing, but was con­victed only six times, for non­vi­o­lent of­fenses. The case prompted out­rage from po­lice of­fi­cials and politi­cians, frus­trated over is­sues that per­sist 10 years later: easy ac­cess to guns and re­peat of­fend­ers.

Any­one with in­for­ma­tion on Trayvon Ch­es­ley’s death is asked to call de­tec­tives at 410-396-2100.

Trayvon Ch­es­ley

Troy Ch­es­ley

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.