Strong fin­ish leads to up­set

Late-ar­riv­ing Millers score 20 points in fourth quar­ter for win over the Owls

Baltimore Sun - - VARSITY - By Kather­ine Dunn

Not a lot went right for Mil­ford Mill’s foot­ball team be­fore Fri­day night’s game at No. 10 Dun­dalk.

First, the bus driver took the team to Dun­bar. Then, once the Millers made it to Dun­dalk, they were 30 min­utes late, de­lay­ing the game. When they fi­nally got on the field on a warm and hu­mid night, they made some key mis­takes, in­clud­ing a fum­ble on the Owls 7-yard line for a turnover.

But in the end, Mil­ford Mill scored 20 fourth-quar­ter points and came away with the up­set. Troy Scott’s 7-yard touch­down run with 1:17 left gave the Millers a 27-22 vic­tory in a Bal­ti­more County 4A-3A Di­vi­sion game.

The de­fense fin­ished off the game with a big stand against Dun­dalk and elu­sive quar­ter­back Dar­rius Sam­ple, who ran for 241 yards and had al­ready run for a touch­down and thrown for one.

Sam­ple got the Owls (1-1) into scor­ing po­si­tion with a 54-yard pass to Ed­die Dick­er­son with about a minute left in the game. With a 15-yard penalty for face­mask­ing against the Millers tacked on, Dun­dalk was within 7 yards of a touch­down.

The Millers, how­ever, stymied the Owls by hold­ing Sam­ple to a 5-yard and a 2-yard run and cov­er­ing his re­ceivers to force a cou­ple of in­com­plete passes and a turnover on downs.

“We had to stop him,” Millers coach Reg­gie White said of Sam­ple, an All-Metro sec­ond-team se­lec­tion last year af­ter lead­ing the Owls to the state ti­tle game for the first time in school his­tory.

The Millers (2-0) scored first when quar­ter­back Kyrel Eley con­nected with Ugo Obasi for a 43-yard touch­down with sec­onds left in the open­ing quar­ter. But they didn’t score again un­til the fourth quar­ter.

Trail­ing 14-7 and just hav­ing fum­bled the ball through end zone for a Dun­dalk touch­back, the Millers started mov­ing the ball con­sis­tently in the fourth quar­ter.

They scored on a 17-yard pass from Eley to Jawan Rabb and, af­ter forc­ing the Owls to go three-and-out, Eley threw a 52-yard strike to Dick­er­son that set up a 3-yard touch­down run by Scott. The con­ver­sion failed, so that gave the Millers a 19-14 lead with 9:15 to go.

The Owls turned the ball over on their next drive, but quickly got it back and Sam­ple took them 65 yards in just over a minute. He gained all but 5 yards in the drive, pol­ish­ing it off with a 41-yard touch­down run. He then hit Daquan Townes with the con­ver­sion pass to take the lead back, 22-19.

Mil­ford Mill got an­other big play when Eley hit Rabb for 41 yards on the next drive and Scott even­tu­ally fin­ished it with a 7-yard touch­down run. The con­ver­sion pass from Eley to Dick­er­son put the Millers up 27-22 with 1:17 to go be­fore the de­fense took over.

The win could be crit­i­cal in the play­offs be­cause both teams are in Class 3A North. Dun­dalk won the re­gional ti­tle last year and the Millers, who lost to the Owls last sea­son, did not qual­ify for the play­offs.


Mil­ford Mill run­ning back Troy Scott, left, and guard Onyi Ebere cel­e­brate Scott’s touch­down giv­ing the Millers a 19-14 lead in the fourth quar­ter.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.