Man dies fol­low­ing strug­gle with Balto. Co. po­lice

Balto. Co. po­lice and fire depart­ments in­ves­ti­gat­ing

Baltimore Sun - - FRONT PAGE - By Car­rie Wells Bal­ti­more Sun re­porter Al­i­son Kneze­vich con­trib­uted to this ar­ti­cle. cwells@balt­

A21-year-old Bal­ti­more County man died Wed­nes­day, days af­ter po­lice say he strug­gled with sev­eral po­lice of­fi­cers in Mid­dle River.

Ta­won Boyd was in­jured in the con­fronta­tion Sun­day morn­ing, au­thor­i­ties said, but they did not pro­vide de­tails. An at­tor­ney for Boyd’s fam­ily said his kid­neys and heart failed.

An au­topsy is to be per­formed to de­ter­mine the cause of death, au­thor­i­ties said, and the county po­lice and fire depart­ments are con­duct­ing in­ter­nal in­ves­ti­ga­tions.

Po­lice say of­fi­cers who were called to the first block of Akin Cir­cle in Mid­dle River just af­ter 3 a.m. Sun­day ar­rived at a chaotic scene. They said Boyd’s girl­friend had called 911 and said he was act­ing “crazy.”

Of­fi­cers said they found Boyd “con­fused and para­noid, sweat­ing heav­ily.”

Boyd tried to run to dif­fer­ent po­lice cars and get in­side and was bang­ing on neigh­bors’ doors, ac­cord­ing to po­lice and his grand­mother.

Linda Burch, Boyd’s grand­mother, lived with the cou­ple and their tod­dler son on Akin Cir­cle. She said Boyd “was act­ing kind of strange, like he was on some­thing.”

But she said po­lice used too much force to re­strain him.

“He was just hol­ler­ing and scream­ing on the ground, and they just kept push­ing him down, push­ing him down, on his shoul­der and back and stuff, hit­ting him,” Burch said. “He was try­ing to get them off of him.”

Burch said she and Boyd’s girl­friend were afraid he would be se­ri­ously hurt.

“I kept telling them stop be­fore they hurt him be­cause I told them they could kill him like that,” she said. “They told me to go across the street be­fore they lock me up.”

Po­lice said Boyd re­sisted ar­rest. They said three of­fi­cers who re­strained Boyd were in­jured. One wrote in a po­lice re­port that he punched Boyd twice.

The of­fi­cers said they were able to fi­nally hold Boyd to the ground.

Medics were called and ad­min­is­tered some­thing to Boyd, but the treat­ment was redacted in the po­lice re­port, and po­lice of­fi­cials said med­i­cal pri­vacy laws pre­vented them from re­leas­ing it.

Boyd calmed down, po­lice said, and an of­fi­cer asked a medic to check his pulse. Boyd was still breath­ing and had a heart­beat as he was put in an am­bu­lance, po­lice said.


Ta­won Boyd, a 21-year-old Mid­dle River man who al­legedly fought with sev­eral Bal­ti­more County po­lice of­fi­cers early Sun­day, is shown in the hos­pi­tal.

Ta­won Boyd

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.