Car­di­nals, ’Hounds end tense game with tie

Gil­man comes back from 2-0 deficit against one of the area’s elite pro­grams

Baltimore Sun - - VARSITY - By Tom Worgo

“I am dis­ap­pointed, but at the same time, it’s never easy play­ing over here at Gil­man.”

No one was that happy af­ter No. 2 Calvert Hall and No. 12 Gil­man bat­tled to a 2-2 tie Fri­day in a tense Mary­land In­ter­scholas­tic Ath­letic As­so­ci­a­tion A Con­fer­ence boys soc­cer game.

The vis­it­ing Car­di­nals trudged off the field un­hap­pily, and the host Grey­hounds silently walked into a team meet­ing af­ter 80 min­utes of reg­u­la­tion and two 10-minute over­time pe­ri­ods.

“I am dis­ap­pointed, but at the same time, it’s never easy play­ing over here at Gil­man,” Calvert Hall coach Rich Zinkand said. “Last year, we went to over­time. We did some good things for 80 min­utes, but un­fortu- nately, not enough of them.”

Gil­man coach Jon Seal saw one pos­i­tive in the tie: His team came back from a 2-0 deficit against one of the area’s elite pro­grams.

“The fact that we came back from two goals down against a such a qual­ity op­po­nent was some­thing we were proud of,” said Seal, whose team lost to Calvert Hall, 2-0, on Sept. 9. “You see why they are at the top of the con­fer­ence. But we came in here re­ally want­ing three points. In the sec­ond half, we had a chance to get that third goal.”

The Grey­hounds (4-3-3, 3-3-2 MIAA A Con­fer­ence) tied the game at 2 with 12:37 left in reg­u­la­tion when fresh­man for­ward Teddy Ndje scored on a penalty shot af­ter get­ting pulled down by a Car­di­nals de­fender near the goal.

“I watched film of when we played Calvert Hall the first time,” Seal said. “I didn’t rec­og­nize the team. We are play­ing much bet­ter right now.”

Calvert Hall had more scor­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties in over­time.

Ben Alexan­der’s blis­ter­ing shot with nine min­utes re­main­ing in the first ex­tra ses­sion was stopped by Gil­man se­nior goalie John Philip­pou, who had made some eye­catch­ing saves in the first half.

A minute later, the Car­di­nals’ Lu­cas Ran­dri­a­nariv­elo lofted a shot wide of the goal.

Early in the sec­ond over­time, a shot by Calvert Hall’s Chris Car­roll was saved easily by Philip­pou, who fin­ished with 10 saves.

Gil­man didn’t have any shots on goal in ei­ther over­time pe­riod, and the Grey­hounds failed to take ad­van­tage of two cor­ner kicks at the end of the sec­ond over­time.

In reg­u­la­tion, it was a sub­sti­tute, Matthew Katz, who cut Calvert Hall’s lead to 2-1 early in the sec­ond half. He sent a low shot past sprawl­ing goalie Kyle Cooper.

The Car­di­nals were clearly the bet­ter team in the first half, out­shoot­ing the Grey­hounds 7-3. Alexan­der scored 8:41 into the game off an as­sist from Car­roll to give Calvert Hall a 1-0 ad­van­tage. The Car­di­nals went ahead 2-0 on Dom Corona’s hard, hook­ing shot to the left cor­ner of the goal with 7:32 re­main­ing in the half. Ben Ben­der was cred­ited with the as­sist.

“We talked at half­time about hav­ing that two-goal lead, and know­ing what we need to do,” Zinkand said. “But some­times it’s a cruel game and things don’t go your way.”

Calvert Hall coach Rich Zinkand

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.