German police hunt suspect in alleged bomb plot; 1 in custody
BERLIN — German police searched nationwide Sunday for a 22-year-old Syrian man believed to have been preparing a bombing attack, who slipped through their fingers as they were closing in on him, and were questioning a second Syrian man on suspicion he was involved in the plot.
The man in custody was one of three apprehended in the eastern city of Chemnitz on Saturday. He was renting the apartment that police raided in their search for the main suspect, Jaber Albakr from the Damascus area of Syria, a Saxony police spokesman said. The other two men have been released, he said.
Police also confirmed reports that Albakr had come to Germany in the flood of 890,000 migrants whoentered the country in 2015 and had been granted asylum.