Sam­sung halts sales of fire-prone smart­phone

Baltimore Sun - - NHL - — As­so­ci­ated Press

Sam­sung said it is halt­ing sales of the star-crossed Galaxy Note 7 smart­phone af­ter a spate of fires in­volv­ing new de­vices that were sup­posed to be safe re­place­ments for re­called mod­els. In a state­ment is­sued late Mon­day, Sam­sung said con­sumers with orig­i­nal Note 7 de­vices or re­place­ments they ob­tained af­ter the re­call should turn off the power and seek a re­fund or ex­change them for dif­fer­ent phones. Sep­a­rately, South Korean au­thor­i­ties said in a state­ment that they found a new product de­fect in the Note 7 and like­wise asked con­sumers to power them down or to ex­change them. The state­ment did not iden­tify the de­fect. Of­fi­cials from the U.S. Con­sumer Product Safety Com­mis­sion echoed ad­vice in their own state­ment, adding that they are con­tin­u­ing to in­ves­ti­gate at least five in­ci­dents of fire or over­heat­ing re­ported since a for­mal re­call was an­nounced Sept. 15. The an­nounce­ment fol­lows sev­eral new in­ci­dents of over­heat­ing last week and deals a fur­ther blow to the world’s largest smart­phone com­pany. Lead­ing wire­less car­ri­ers have al­ready said they would stop dis­tribut­ing new Note 7 phones as re­place­ments for the ear­lier re­call.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.