’Stangs cap­ture 1st crown

Fedi­son, S. Baker score in sec­ond half to lift Meade

Baltimore Sun - - VARSITY - By Brian Bur­den

Af­ter nearly miss­ing on a goal late in the first half, Meade’s Kee­lan Fedi­son was de­ter­mined to con­vert his next op­por­tu­nity, and that is just what he did.

Fedi­son scored with 24:21 left in the game off a cross from Riley Baker, and Si­las Baker scored a in­sur­ance goal with two min­utes left as the Mus­tangs de­feated Sev­erna Park, 2-0, to win the Anne Arun­del County cham­pi­onship game Tues­day at Arun­del.

“I was happy with our per­for­mance,” Meade coach Pat Hulede said. “We are very proud to win our first soc­cer county cham­pi­onship game for the school. This was two fan­tas­tic teams play­ing. I would love to watch that game as a fan.”

The re­turn of the county cham­pi­onship game pit­ted two teams that each lost just once in the reg­u­lar sea­son. It was ex­actly three weeks ear­lier that the Fal­cons (12-2-1) handed Meade (12-1-2) its only set­back, 2-0. The Fal­cons scored twice in the sec­ond half that day and kept Meade’s high-oc­tane of­fense at bay.

“We re­ally wanted this game af­ter what hap­pened last time,” Riley Baker, a se­nior, said. “This game was im­por­tant for us be­cause it gave us that play­off feel, and we know we are go­ing to see this cal­iber of team as the play­offs progress.”

Nei­ther team posed a dan­ger­ous threat of­fen­sively un­til Fedi­son’s chance, which came with 8:30 to go in the first half. Sev­erna Park’s de­fense gave up the ball in the box and Fedi­son got a touch on it, send­ing the ball to the far left, where it bounced harm­lessly off the post.

“We kind of sat back more than we should have; we should have pres­sured more from the be­gin­ning,” Fedi­son said. “Miss­ing that goal in the first half re­ally mo­ti­vated me more in the sec­ond.”

De­spite the score­less tie, Hulede was sat­is­fied with the work rate of both teams. Meade cel­e­brates its vic­tory at Arun­del. “We are very proud to win our first soc­cer county cham­pi­onship game for the school, coach Pat Hulede said.

“They were creat­ing chances on their front and, just like when we played them last time, it felt like who­ever scored that first goal would get all the mo­men­tum,” Hulede said.

The Fal­cons crept up early in the sec­ond half, and moved the ball into Meade’s penalty box with some con­sis­tency in the first 10-15 min­utes. Drew Belloff sent a chance wide right three min­utes in, and Sam Kriel sent a free kick hard but straight at Meade goal­keeper Chris Marx 10 min­utes later. With no over­time set for the cham­pi­onship, some­body was go­ing to have to make a play, and that is where Riley Baker came in.

He con­trolled pos­ses­sion in the mid­dle of the field and sent a per­fect cross on to Fedi­son’s foot. The ju­nior did the rest.

“I saw Riley and it was like tun­nel vi­sion, with the ball com­ing right to me,” Fedi­son said.

Sev­erna Park brought ev­ery­one up in the wan­ing min­utes. A Meade clear got out to Si­las Baker, who drib­bled a cou­ple of times be­fore fin­ish­ing a long shot into an empty net with 2:10 to play to clinch the vic­tory.

“This was a very in­tense game, in terms of the at­mos­phere,” Si­las Baker said. “I think we just worked harder when it came to the 50-50 balls and we fin­ished our chances.”

Fedi­son’s goal ex­em­pli­fies the Mus­tangs’ depth.

“We have a fan­tas­tic team over­all, and I think that can be down­played some­times with some of our big­ger names,” Hulede said.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.