Bru­ins beat Sea­hawks on PKs

Broad­neck ad­vances af­ter ‘gritty’ de­fen­sive strug­gle

Baltimore Sun - - VARSITY - By Brian Bur­den

Penalty kicks are of­ten de­scribed as a cruel and un­fair way to end a game, but they sure make for great the­ater. Trevor Wig­gins has en­joyed the show twice this sea­son al­ready for Broad­neck.

Wig­gins, Joey Aman and Joseph Ve­lasquez made their penalty kicks, while South River was stopped once and went high on its two other at­tempts as the Bru­ins de­feated the Sea­hawks in penalty kicks, 3-0, to win their Class 4A East Re­gion Sec­tion II semi­fi­nal on Tues­day.

Broad­neck (10-5) will play the win­ner of Leonard­town and North Point in the sec­tion fi­nal Fri­day. They will travel to Leonard­town or host North Point.

“I thought we played a very gritty game from start to end,” Broad­neck coach Sean Tet­te­mer said. “Penalty kicks are strange. They can be high or low, fast or slow, and I thought Fred [Hill] gave us the mo­men­tum with his stop on their first chance, and Aman com­ing in and bury­ing his kick gave us even more mo­men­tum.”

Both teams had their de­fen­sive form set from the open­ing whis­tle, and get­ting a goal cer­tainly proved to be dif­fi­cult.

“I think Sean, as well as my­self, we pride our­selves on hav­ing or­ga­ni­za­tion in the back and mak­ing it dif­fi­cult to score,” South River coach Jeff Vin­cent said.

The first real op­por­tu­nity came with 7 min­utes, 30 sec­onds left in the first half, when Aman found John Vasquez for a shot that sent South River (10-4-2) goal­keeper Kyle Berkowitz to the ground. Berkowitz also ably stopped a Ve­lasquez header early in the sec­ond half and made four saves over­all. The Sea­hawks finished the sea­son al­low­ing just five goals in 16 games.

Mean­while, South River (10-4-2) could not crack the Bru­ins’ back line ei­ther. When Vasquez was is­sued his sec­ond yel­low card in an eight-minute span in the sec­ond half, Broad­neck sud­denly found it­self down to 10 men with 12 min­utes left in reg­u­la­tion.

“Once we went down a man, we kind of woke up even more in terms of un­der­stand­ing the need to com­mit to de­fense,” Tet­te­mer said. “We wanted to do that and then hope­fully get a goal in the run of play or off a restart. Our guys bought into that and knew they had to do what­ever they could to get a re­sult.”

The Bru­ins ac­tu­ally came closer as a team in the clos­ing min­utes of the sec­ond half, as well as both over­time ses­sions. Broad­neck goal­keeper Fred­er­ick Hill made a stop late, and also had four saves.

“I had con­fi­dence in my guys,” Hill said. “As long as we went to over­time, we were not go­ing to lose.”

Brady Zacker was subbed in for Berkowitz with two min­utes re­main­ing in the sec­ond over­time, as his length ad­van­tage would hope­fully come in handy for South River when it came to kicks. Af­ter a short break, the penalty kick stage en­sued, with Jared Mundie tak­ing the long walk to the box to face Hill. Mundie’s shot was low and to Hill’s right, and the sopho­more made the stop.

“I knew where that first penalty kick was go­ing to go; I was con­fi­dent I was go­ing the right way,” Hill said.

Aman came up and fired his shot into the up­per right corner. Ve­lasquez came up next af­ter a Sea­hawks miss and finished in the lower right. Af­ter an­other South River miss, Wig­gins came up with the chance to close. His penalty kick in over­time gave the Bru­ins a 1-0 vic­tory over South River on Sept. 22, and now, his hard shot high in the mid­dle would end the game.

“You just clear your mind and fo­cus on the task at hand,” Wig­gins said. “The odds are in your fa­vor so just put it away. We are a re­silient team in gen­eral and will find a way to win.”

Tet­te­mer cred­its his team’s de­fen­sive turn­around in the sec­ond half of the sea­son for why they are play­ing Fri­day night.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.