Fran­tic search by fam­ily and friends ends with grim find

Man was ap­par­ent vic­tim of crash in White Marsh

Baltimore Sun - - MARYLAND - By Jes­sica An­der­son jkan­der­son@balt­ twit­­ders5

For five days, Tyler Asher’s fam­ily mem­bers called hos­pi­tals, handed out fliers, posted pleas to Face­book and searched the neigh­bor­hood for the miss­ing 20-year-old.

Around 5 p.m. Mon­day, they re­ceived a call from one of his friends, who had found the young man’s sil­ver Acura in a wooded area in White Marsh. Asher was dead in­side, the ap­par­ent vic­tim of a car crash.

“It was hor­ri­ble,” Asher’s step­mother, Dawn Lam­bert, said Tues­day. “I climbed in the win­dow to make sure it was him.”

Asher was at the Greene Tur­tle in White Marsh with friends on Thurs­day but did not re­turn home. His fam­ily re­ported him miss­ing later that day, Lam­bert said.

The fam­ily sus­pected some­thing was wrong when Asher did not re­spond to mes­sages sent to his phone, Lam­bert said.

She said they be­gan calling area hos­pi­tals and po­lice sta­tions to try to find him. They re­traced his drive from the restau­rant look­ing for any sign of him. They handed out fliers and posted in­for­ma­tion to Face­book. One post re­ceived 4,000 shares on­line. But still noth­ing. The fam­ily can­vassed the area near their home and near the restau­rant.

Af­ter his friend called the fam­ily, they rushed to the scene. Lam­bert said they had passed the area where his car was hid­den in the trees. Lam­bert said she scram­bled to the car. “It was bad. It de­mol­ished his car,” Lam­bert said.

She said she prays that her step­son was not in pain, “lay­ing there in the cold by him­self. I don’t think he suf­fered, though.”

Fam­ily mem­bers found his cell­phone with 179 missed calls, she said.

Lam­bert said she’s known Asher since he was 2. She said he grew up in Mid­dle River and grad­u­ated from Ken­wood High School two years ago. He was work­ing with his fa­ther at SBA Con­struc­tion.

Asher had re­cently moved into a house with friends.

He would have turned 21 next month, Lam­bert said.

He loved rid­ing dirt bikes. “That was his pas­sion. He could ride one-handed, no­hand. He loved it,” she said.

Lam­bert de­scribed her step­son as “very mild-man­nered. He was very re­spect­ful be­cause he was raised around a bunch of girls.”

Asher, the old­est child, had three sis­ters and two broth­ers. “He was al­ways smil­ing,” she said. As word spread that his car had been lo­cated on Mon­day, Lam­bert said friends went to the crash scene. “Peo­ple loved him,” she said. Lam­bert has not re­ceived ad­di­tional in­for­ma­tion from po­lice but said an au­topsy was planned.

Po­lice did not re­lease ad­di­tional de­tails on the crash Tues­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.