Po­ets rout Bulls for third straight trip to state semi­fi­nals

Baltimore Sun - - VARSITY FOOTBALL - By Tom Worgo

Jared Lewis’ game against Here­ford on Fri­day night was one he’ll re­mem­ber.

The Dun­bar ju­nior quar­ter­back picked apart the No. 15 Bulls for four touch­down passes in the first half, and the Po­ets dom­i­nated Here­ford en route to a 60-14 vic­tory in the Class 2A North re­gion fi­nal in Park­ton.

The win re­turned Dun­bar to the state semi­fi­nals for the third straight sea­son.

Dun­bar coach Lawrence Smith said his Po­ets have un­fin­ished busi­ness af­ter the way the past two sea­sons ended.

“Boy, do they re­ally want a state cham­pi­onship,” Smith said. “They are very hun­gry and they won’t take no for an an­swer. We are pre­pared to go any­where to get it.”

The Po­ets wouldn’t be get­ting an­other shot at one with­out Lewis, who has 22 touch­down passes this sea­son.

Run­ning the spread of­fense, he com­pleted eight of12 passes for 221yards and threw two of his four touch­downs to sopho­more wide re­ceiver Melvin Curbeam.

Se­nior run­ning back Jamor­rie Ran­some also joined in, rush­ing for two touch­downs and 151 yards on 11 car­ries.

Smith, how­ever, wanted to talk about Lewis af­ter the game.

“He has done noth­ing but got­ten bet­ter and bet­ter as the year has gone along,” Smith said. “He had a new of­fen­sive co­or­di­na­tor and had to learn a new sys­tem.”

Smith had the Po­ets mov­ing up and down the field for the en­tire first half.

Dun­bar (9-3) threat­ened to score on its open­ing drive, but Here­ford de­fen­sive line­man Troy Glad­ney stopped Ran­some on fourt­hand-goal from the 3-yard line.

But the Po­ets scored the sec­ond time they touched the ball. Ju­nior Ryan Wood re­turned Sam Wana­maker’s punt 70 yards for a touch­down.

Uriah Kemo kicked the ex­tra point to make it 7-0. It didn’t take long for Dun­bar to score again. On third-and-14, Lewis found a wide-open Zay­whon John­son over the mid­dle for a 65-yard touch­down. Kemo’s ex­tra-point at­tempt was blocked. Here­ford (11-1) scored on its third pos­ses­sion. The Bulls moved 61 yards in nine plays and JD Nozemack ran around the left side of the line for a 5-yard touch­down to trim the lead to 13-6 with 9:03 re­main­ing. Quar­ter­back Josh We­grzyn, who was fill­ing in for the in­jured John Marchinek (con­cus­sion), high­lighted the se­ries with an 18-yard pass to Mack Cot­terino.

Dun­bar an­swered quickly as the re­main­der of the first half be­longed to the Po­ets.

Lewis fin­ished off a 5-play, 65-yard drive when he teamed up with Curbeam for a 32-yard touch­down with 6:54 left.

Lewis ran in the 2-point con­ver­sion to give the Po­ets a 21-7 lead.

The quar­ter­back con­tin­ued to frus­trate the Bulls late in the sec­ond quar­ter, throw­ing a 51-yard touch­down pass to Curbeam to make it 27-7.

Lewis fin­ished the first-half scor­ing with a 24-yard touch­down on screen pass to Ran­some on fourth-and-4 to push it to 33-7 — the half­time score.

Ran­some then put the game out of reach on the sec­ond play from scrim­mage in the sec­ond half with a 65-yard touch­down run. Dun­bar’s Melvin Curbeam makes a catch for a touch­down in the sec­ond quar­ter in front of Here­ford de­fender Mack Cot­terino.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.