Dr. Dar­rell A. Jaques

Noted head and neck sur­geon at GBMC had served in M.A.S.H. units in Viet­nam

Baltimore Sun - - NATION OBITUARIES - By Fred­er­ick N. Ras­mussen fred.ras­mussen@balt­sun.com — As­so­ci­ated Press

Dr. Dar­rell A. Jaques, a noted head and neck sur­geon who had been a com­bat sur­geon dur­ing the Viet­nam War, died from com­pli­ca­tions of coro­nary artery dis­ease on June 4 at Brook­dale Ol­ney As­sisted Se­nior Liv­ing.

The for­mer Pasadena and An­napo­lis res­i­dent was 88.

“Dar­rell was at the top of his spe­cialty. As a sur­geon, he was very ex­act, con­fi­dent and quite skilled. He at­tempted many oper­a­tions that few sur­geons would do,” said Dr. John R. Saun­ders, a re­tired head and neck sur­geon who was a res­i­dent at Wal­ter Reed Na­tional Mil­i­tary Medical Cen­ter un­der Dr. Jaques. In 1982 he re­joined his col­league at Greater Bal­ti­more Medical Cen­ter.

“He was very close to many of his pa­tients who revered him and were thank­ful for the treat­ment he gave them,” said Dr. Saun­ders, an An­napo­lis res­i­dent.

Dr. Richard M. Hi­rata, a re­tired head and neck sur­geon who lives in Gaithers­burg called Dr. Jaques a “dom­i­neer­ing fig­ure and very car­ing.... His sur­gi­cal skills were out­stand­ing.”

Dar­rell Arthur Jaques was born and raised in Jef­fer­son, Iowa, the son of farm­ers Leonard and Min­nie Jaques.

“They lost the farm dur­ing the Great De­pres­sion and moved around about 12 times,” said a daugh­ter, Linda Kelly of Der­wood in Mont­gomery County.

As a kinder­garten stu­dent, Dr. Jaques nearly suc­cumbed to pneu­mo­nia, and in an 2015 in­ter­view with The Jef­fer­son Her­ald news­pa­per, he re­called hear­ing the fam­ily doc­tor say­ing to his par­ents, “Mother, this boy may die.” He said the in­ci­dent was life chang­ing, and he de­cided he would one day pur­sue a career in medicine.

When he started el­e­men­tary school he was placed in a class of “slow learn­ers.” Nev­er­the­less, he grad­u­ated in 1947 from Ann Ar­bor High School, then en­tered the Univer­sity of Michigan-Ann Ar­bor and ob­tained a bach­e­lor’s de­gree and, in 1957, a medical de­gree.

In 1949, he mar­ried the for­mer Lor­raine M. “Kathy” Comely.

“My wife worked as a nurse, and I [was] a close tol­er­ance ma­chin­ist to pay for my ed­u­ca­tion,” Dr. Jaques wrote in a bi­o­graph­i­cal sketch.

He en­listed in the Army and com­pleted an in­tern­ship at Wil­liam Beau­mont Army Hospi­tal in El Paso, Texas, in 1958. From 1958 to 1960, he was a bat­tal­ion sur­geon for an anti-air­craft unit in Mannheim, Ger­many, and from1960 to 1961 was an as­sis­tant neu­ro­sur­geon in Land­stuhl, also in Ger­many.

From 1967 to 1968, he served as chief sur­geon for a Mo­bile Army Sur­gi­cal Hospi­tal (M.A.S.H.) in Viet­nam, and was later chief sur­geon at the 71st Evac­u­a­tion Hospi­tal in Pleiku.

Dur­ing the Bat­tle of Dak To in 1967, more than 1,000 ca­su­al­ties ar­rived at the hospi­tal dur­ing the 19-day bat­tle; 145 in one af­ter­noon alone. By bat­tle’s end 285 Amer­i­cans had been killed in ac­tion.

The medical staff wore flak vests and hel­mets in the op­er­at­ing room, he told The Jef­fer­son Her­ald. “There were some scary times be­lieve me,” he said. “We lost a few doc­tors.”

In the in­ter­view, he also re­called that one day a wounded South Viet­namese solder ar­rived at the hospi­tal with an en­try wound. An X-ray re­vealed an un­ex­ploded, rock­et­pro­pelled grenade lodged in the man’s back.

“It just went in like a huge bul­let,” he said in the in­ter­view. Dr. Jaques asked for vol­un­teers who “stepped up” while an or­di­nance team stood by. Forty-five min­utes later he suc­cess­fully re­moved the RPG, which was then taken out­side and det­o­nated.

Dr. Jaques’ dec­o­ra­tions in­cluded the Sol­diers Medal for Brav­ery, and the Le­gion of Merit with an Oak Leaf Clus­ter.

His fi­nal as­sign­ment in Viet­nam was as com­man­der of an­other M.A.S.H. in Xuan Loc, Viet­nam, where he treated 95 ca­su­al­ties in one day, he wrote in his sketch.

Af­ter Viet­nam, he com­pleted a fel­low­ship at Wal­ter Reed Na­tional Mil­i­tary Medical Cen­ter, study­ing with Drs. W.O. Mahoney and Robert G. Cham­bers.

“I saw how this dis­ease af­fects peo­ple where they live — in the face and brain, through their speech and senses, I wanted to help,” he said in a 2010 in­ter­view with Greater On­col­ogy To­day.

From 1968 to 1977 he was chief of head and neck surgery at Wal­ter Reed and as­sis­tant chief gen­eral sur­geon and con­sul­tant to the sur­geon gen­eral.

Dr. Jaques re­tired from the Army with the rank of colonel, came to Bal­ti­more and joined the prac­tice of Dr. Cham­bers, who had trained him at Wal­ter Reed and was an in­ter­na­tion­ally known sur­geon at GBMC.

Dr. Cham­bers died in 1981, and Dr. Jaques con­tin­ued the prac­tice, adding sur­geons Drs. Richard M. Hi­rata and John R. Saun­ders. Their prac­tice was the be­gin­ning of what even­tu­ally be­came the Mil­ton J. Dance Jr. Head and Neck Cen­ter at GBMC.

Dr. Jac­ques was con­sid­ered a pi­o­neer in his field. In the early 1970s, the use of pre­op­er­a­tive ra­di­a­tion ther­apy for ad­vanced head and neck can­cer pa­tients came to the fore­front.

“Adding this modal­ity had ben­e­fits, but it also made sur­gi­cal man­age­ment of ra­di­a­tion-in­jured tis­sues dif­fi­cult, and in­creased the risk of carotid artery rup­ture,” he said in an 2009 GBMC in­ter­view. He de­vised a tech­nique that used mus­cle tis­sue to con­struct a “flap” to cover the ex­posed carotid artery.

“He was a great sur­geon, an in­no­va­tor and a good teacher,” Dr. Hi­rata said. “When he started years ago, head and neck surgery was in its in­fancy, and he’d op­er­ate on pa­tients that had been con­cluded [as] in­op­er­a­ble. He un­der­took these kinds of things and through care­ful plan­ning, got rea­son­ably good re­sults.”

Dr. Saun­ders de­scribed Dr. Jaques as a com­mand­ing pres­ence who was “not afraid to ex­press his opinions in the op­er­at­ing room when the time was right.”

“He had nick­names for his op­er­at­ing room staff and was al­ways giv­ing nurses hugs. He was a big bear of a man,” Dr. Saun­ders said. “He was at the top of his spe­cialty.”

Dr. Jaques con­ducted years of re­search and wrote 44 pub­lished sci­en­tific ar­ti­cles in jour­nals and chap­ters in books. He re­tired in 1995, and at GBMC’s 50th an­niver­sary in 2015, he was hon­ored among the hospi­tal’s Physi­cian Ti­tans.

When he re­tired, Dr. Jaques moved to Leisure World in Sil­ver Spring. In his bi­o­graph­i­cal sketch, he wrote: “I now de­liver the Leisure World news­pa­per.”

He was an ac­com­plished wood­worker who en­joyed mak­ing fur­ni­ture, said Ms. Kelly, his daugh­ter. His wife of 68 years died ear­lier this year. Fu­neral ser­vices were held June 9 at Oak­dale Church in Ol­ney.

In ad­di­tion to his daugh­ter, Dr. Jaques. is sur­vived by a son, David Jaques of Hunt Val­ley; two other daugh­ters, Kathy Sch­nei­der of Ol­ney and Su­san Schank of San An­to­nio, Texas; a sis­ter, Jac­que­line Jaques Terp­stra of Los An­ge­les; 11 grand­chil­dren; and 11 great-grand­chil­dren. An­other son, Tom Jaques, died in 2016. Dr. Jaques was a pi­o­neer in head and neck surgery at GBMC. po­lice of­fi­cer and a ranger and later started his own equip­ment com­pany. He mar­ried Lupita Mae Isaac and had eight chil­dren.

In 2013 Mr. Hol­i­day co-wrote, with Robert S. McPher­son, a book about his ex­pe­ri­ence as a Code Talker called “Un­der the Ea­gle.” The li­brary at the Kayenta Mid­dle School in Kayenta, Ariz., is named for Mr. Hol­i­day.

Mr. Hol­i­day spent his later days liv­ing at the South­ern Utah Vet­er­ans Home in Ivins, Utah.

Shortly be­fore his death, fam­ily mem­bers turned to the crowd­fund­ing site Go­FundMe to raise $4,000 to be able to visit him in hospice care. Rep­re­sen­ta­tives of the Navajo Na­tion said he was sur­rounded by friends and fam­ily when he died.

A fu­neral will be held in Mon­u­ment Val­ley, ac­cord­ing to the Navajo Na­tion Coun­cil, with burial at a vet­er­ans’ ceme­tery in the Navajo com­mu­nity of Kayenta.

Mr. Hol­i­day is sur­vived by six chil­dren, 35 grand­chil­dren, 30 great-grand­chil­dren and two great-great-grand­chil­dren.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.