State to ex­tend un­em­ploy­ment el­i­gi­bil­ity cap for 13 weeks

Baltimore Sun - - MARYLAND - By Lil­lian Reed

The Mary­land De­part­ment of La­bor will of­fer an ad­di­tional 13 weeks of un­em­ploy­ment in­sur­ance to claimants who have ex­hausted the maximum pe­riod for col­lect­ing the ben­e­fits as the coron­avirus pan­demic con­tin­ues, state of­fi­cials an­nounced Fri­day.

The state will of­fer the ad­di­tional weeks of ben­e­fits through the Fed­eral-State Ex­tended Ben­e­fits pro­gram, which is avail­able for claimants who have ex­hausted both their 26 weeks of reg­u­lar un­em­ploy­ment ben­e­fits and 13 weeks of the Pan­demic Emer­gency Un­em­ploy­ment Com­pen­sa­tion as­sis­tance, ac­cord­ing to state of­fi­cials.

Claimants will be able to re­ceive their same amount of ben­e­fits as un­der the reg­u­lar and PEUC pro­grams, of­fi­cials said.

La­bor De­part­ment of­fi­cials plan to send writ­ten no­ti­fi­ca­tions to all po­ten­tially el­i­gi­ble claimants in­form­ing them they can ap­ply for the ex­tended ben­e­fits pro­gram in the state’s BEA­CON One-Stop por­tal.

Mary­land qual­i­fied to of­fer the ex­ten­sion by meet­ing the fed­eral thresh­old, which says the in­sured un­em­ploy­ment rate must ex­ceed 5% and be at least 120% of the cor­re­spond­ing av­er­age rate in the prior two years.

The num­ber of weekly job­less claims in Mary­land dropped again last week to 23,893 , ac­cord­ing to the state.

While that num­ber is down by more than 9,400 from the prior week, it re­mains ex­po­nen­tially higher than be­fore Gov. Larry Ho­gan or­dered peo­ple to stay home and all nonessen­tial work­places closed to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Only 2,090 job­less claims were filed the week end­ing March 7, be­fore most Mary­land busi­nesses closed in re­sponse to the pan­demic.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.