Olive, coconut, peanut, avocado, walnut … there are many plant oils to choose from today, and they’re generally considered healthy options— especially if they’re cold-pressed and unrefined. But is there more to know? Take our quiz to find out.
Are They All Good for You?
1 . Which of these parts of a plant are most often used to make oils?
a) Leaves b) Bark c) Flowers d) Seeds e) Stems
2 . How many calories does a tablespoon of most plant oils contain?
a) 100 b) 110 c) 120 d) 130 e) 140
3. Olive oil is considered to be beneficial because:
a) It contains omega- 3 fat, the plant version of the healthy fat found in fish. b) It is anti- inflammatory and rich in antioxidants. c) Both of the above
4. The healthiest type of olive oil is labeled:
a) Pure olive oil b) Virgin olive oil c) Extra- virgin olive oil
5. Which of these is richest in omega- 3 fats?
a) Walnut oil b) Flaxseed oil c) Chia seed oil d) Hemp seed oil
6. Canola oil is the same thing as rapeseed oil.
a) True b) False
7. Which of these oils should not be used for high- heat cooking?
a) Flaxseed oil b) Coconut oil c) Peanut oil
8. Refined oils are treated with:
a) High heat b) Chemical solvents c) Bleaching agents d) All of the above