WHAT ARE YOU devoted TO?
Bitch staff give a peek into their devotions, obsessions, and just plain weird habits.
EVETTE DIONNE, senior editor: Beyoncé is the queen of my life. She’s already the best, but she still pushes herself to get better. What’s more inspiring than that?
KATE LESNIAK, publisher: First and foremost, I’m devoted to sandwiches. The New York Times put out a sandwich issue a few years ago and I have the cover page posted on my desk.
DAHLIA GROSSMAN-HEINZE, senior engagement editor: I’m devoted to horror movies and witches, whatever their pop culture medium.
KORIN LYKAM, director of data and operational systems: I’m here for Sonequa Martin-green as main protagonist Commander Michael Burnham in Star Trek: Discovery. She’s a badass, and who doesn’t love a smarter-, stronger-, braver-thanaverage human raised by Vulcans?
LISA FACTORA-BORCHERS, editorial director: Filipino tradition celebrates after Christmas Eve midnight mass with “Noche Buena”: a family gathering with good food. As a Filipino American, I adapted a bit of the menu so it was not only a Filipino affair of lumpia shanghai, leche flan, and fruit salads, but also included gourmet nachos. I made them so often that eventually my family started calling it Nacho Buena.
ASHLEY DUCHEMIN, production Manager: I am utterly devoted to growing myself in every way imaginable. Every time someone thinks of me, I want them to immediately think of Kelli from Insecure saying, “You know what that is? Growth.”
SORAYA MEMBRENO, director of community: I am devoted to food. Of all kinds and in all stages. But particularly, the food tour. For every city I’ve ever lived in, I’ve got curated, customized, all-day food-tour itineraries of all my favorite neighborhoods.
ANDI ZEISLER, cofounder: Books. Physical, beautiful books. Having lived through not one but two recent decades where THE END OF PRINT was forecast with biblical solemnity, I see books as mighty testaments to a love that defies digital colonization. Bury me with books.
PATRICIA ROMERO, community programs coordinator: I am devoted to burritos. They are portable and tasty for all occasions. At the movies, the park, school, and any place you can byob (bring your own burrito). Burritos make any occasion a happy one.
JULIE FALK, executive director: I am a lifelong lover of mysteries. From Nancy Drew to Agatha Christie to Laura Lippman and Louise Penny, mystery novels have given me solace and escape. Life can’t get too bad if there’s a mystery close at hand.
KRISTIN ROGERS BROWN, art director: Miss Sadie Mercedes, the dog love of my life. I spend about 75 percent of our time together attempting to hug her, and the other 25 percent saving her from her main beagle instinct, which is to eat every crunchy thing. She tolerates the hugging.
AMANDA GREEN, finance and administration director: I am completely devoted to black cats (especially mine), Pretzel M&M’S, and all the superhero tv shows.
ALEXX DOVELIN, graphic designer: I'm devoted to Sailor Moon, my gay childhood icons whose original identities were erased by Western localization. Shout-out to bootleg ebay translations for introducing me to subtitles and queerness.
Want to learn what our staff is reading, listening to, or watching? Sign up for our monthly newsletter, B-mail, at bitchmedia.org.