The off-season is a great time to plan for a repower, and with outboards getting more powerful, many boat owners are looking at doing just that. Let’s see what you know about big outboards. — Eric Colby
1. What is the most powerful outboard motor on the market right now?
A. The Seven Marine 627 B. The Seven Marine 557 C. The Mercury Racing Verado 400R D. The Mercury Racing X-Cat race outboard
2. What is the configuration of the most powerful outboard?
A. V-6 B. V-8 C. V-10 D. V-12
3. What common component do the Mercury Verado and Seven Marine engines share?
A. The LSA Block B. A turbocharger C. A supercharger D. None of the above
4. How many cylinders does the Mercury Verado 400R have?
A. 10 B. 8 C. 6 D. 12
5. Which engine manufacturers make a 300 hp two-stroke outboard?
A. Evinrude and Mercury Racing B. Mercury Racing and Yamaha C. Evinrude and Yamaha D. Yamaha and Suzuki
2. B. It’s based on the GM LSA small-block V-8.
4. C. That’s why it weighs less than comparable models.
CAPTAIN’S TESTS ONLINE
Test your knowledge of boating with more Captain’s Tests at boatingmag.com/ captains-test.