De­fen­dant in dou­ble mur­der dies in cus­tody



— A man ac­cused of gun­ning down his step­mother and step­brother near Elk­ton in March amid an in­her­i­tance dis­pute has died of “nat­u­ral causes” while in pre­trial cus­tody, a Ce­cil County Sher­iff’s Of­fice su­per­vi­sor re­ported Wed­nes­day af­ter­noon.

Physi­cians and in­ves­ti­ga­tors do not sus­pect foul play, ac­cord­ing to CCSO Chief Deputy Ger­ald K. Wid­does.

Marty Cyle Hol­brook, 30,


died at 2:35 p.m. on Tues­day at Johns Hop­kins Hospi­tal in Bal­ti­more, where he had ar­rived by Mary­land State Po­lice he­li­copter at 11:32 p.m. on Mon­day af­ter “ex­pe­ri­enc­ing a med­i­cal is­sue” at the Ce­cil County De­ten­tion Cen­ter, Wid­does re­ported.

A nurse with a con­tracted med­i­cal provider, Prime Care, no­ticed Hol­brook ex­pe­ri­enc­ing an undis­closed med­i­cal episode in­side his cell while mak­ing even­ing rounds and, as a re­sult, paramedics were dis­patched at 6:48 p.m. Mon­day, he said.

An am­bu­lance trans­ported Hol­brook to Union Hospi­tal in Elk­ton and he was later trans­ferred, un­der watch by of­fi­cers, to Johns Hop­kins Hospi­tal by he­li­copter, he added.

CCSO of­fi­cials con­tacted Hol­brook’s rel­a­tives and in­formed them that he had been flown to Johns Hop­kins and they went there to be with him, ac­cord­ing to Wid­does.

“A doc­tor from Johns Hop­kins Hospi­tal signed the death cer­tifi­cate as ‘nat­u­ral causes.’ Since no foul play was sus­pected and a physi- cian signed the death cer tifi­cate, the Of­fice of the Chief Med­i­cal Ex­am­iner de­clined to per­form an a u t o p s y, ” Wi d d o e s said, adding that “there were no signs of in­jury” to Hol­brook.

Hol­brook had been held with­out bond in the county jail since March 29, af­ter his ar­rest in the dou­ble­mur­der case. His post- ar­rest in­car­cer­a­tion was de­layed by a day be­cause he had suf­fered an un­spec­i­fied med­i­cal prob­lem, af­ter a con­cerned rel­a­tive had driven him to CCSO’s head­quar­ters within two hours af­ter the March 28 dou­ble homi­cide.

Hol­brook stood ac­cused of sys­tem­at­i­cally go­ing to two nearby res­i­dences in the 900 block of West Pu­laski Highway about 9:30 p.m. March 28 and fa­tally shoot­ing James David Crock­ett,

30, at one of those lo­ca­tions be­fore gun­ning down Crock­ett’s mother, Vicky Lynn Hol­brook, 50, at the other place mo­ments later, po­lice re­ported.

“A wit­ness stated that there had been is­sues between Marty Cyle Hol­brook, Vicky Lynn Hol­brook and James David Crock­ett since Marty Cyle Hol­brook’s fa­ther passed away, and he felt he should have got­ten the in­her­i­tance. The wit­ness stated that (Marty Hol­brook) was go­ing to kill Vicky Lynn Hol­brook and James David Crock­ett and had a .357 snub nose hand­gun in his pos­ses­sion,” CCSO Det. Wil­liam Sewell, lead in­ves­ti­ga­tor, wrote in court doc­u­ments.

More­over, the sus­pect al­legedly had aban­doned an ear­lier plan to kill them be- cause cir­cum­stances weren’t ideal, po­lice re­ported.

“The wit­ness stated that the mur­ders were planned and that Marty Cyle Hol­brook was plan­ning to do it sev­eral days prior; how­ever, there were chil­dren present,” court records al­lege.

On the night of the in­ci­dent, a neigh­bor looked out the win­dow af­ter hear­ing gun­shots and saw Hol­brook “fire a hand­gun at his step­brother, James David Crock­ett, on the out­side stair­way of 938 West Pu­laski Highway, strik­ing him,” po­lice said.

At that point, po­lice added, the al­leged gunman went to 434 West Pu­laski Highway and fired sev­eral rounds at the door locks, be­fore kick­ing in the door.

“Af­ter the door was forced open, the wit­ness ob­served Marty Cyle Hol­brook en­ter the res­i­dence, where he shot his step­mother, Vicky Lynn Hol­brook,” court records al­lege.

Then, af­ter fa­tally shoot­ing his step­mother, Marty Hol­brook stole her black 2004 Ford Ex­plorer and drove away, po­lice re­ported.

The neigh­bor, who called 911, was able to pro­vide CCSO in­ves­ti­ga­tors with in­for­ma­tion. The two shoot­ing vic­tims were pro­nounced dead at the crime scene, which is hid­den be­hind busi­nesses fronting West Pu­laski Highway, in­clud­ing a car-car­rier shop and a tat­too par­lor, both across the road from Par­adise Mo­tors deal­er­ship.

About two hours af­ter the deadly shoot­ings, a “con­cerned” rel­a­tive drove Marty Hol­brook to CCSO’s head­quar­ters near Elk­ton and re­ported that Hol­brook had “stated he did some­thing very bad and hurt peo­ple,” po­lice said.

The rel­a­tive did so af­ter Hol­brook had ar­rived at his res­i­dence “in an SUV that he did not rec­og­nize, which was found to be” Vicky Hol­brook’s stolen ve­hi­cle, po­lice added.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors found .357-cal­iber rounds on the floor­board of the ve­hi­cle that had been used to trans­port Marty Hol­brook to the po­lice sta­tion, ac­cord­ing to po­lice.

Sewell re­ported in court doc­u­ments that he also had re­cov­ered .357-cal­iber shell cas­ings and live rounds at the crime scene.

Be­cause of a “med­i­cal con­di­tion un­re­lated to his ar­rest,” Marty Hol­brook was taken to an undis­closed health care provider shortly af­ter ar­riv­ing at the head­quar­ters and re­mained there un­der guard, un­til he was dis­charged and trans­ferred to the county jail on the ini­tial district court mur­der charges, po­lice re­ported.

On April 13, a Ce­cil County grand jury handed up an in­dict­ment against Hol­brook, charg­ing him with two counts of first-de­gree mur­der and 13 other of­fenses. Hol­brook was ar­raigned on April 20, court records show.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.