Elkton-area man gets 15 years for at­tempted mur­der



— A man re­ceived a 15-year pri­son term on Mon­day for try­ing to kill his girl­friend when he stabbed her nu­mer­ous times in the face and neck at her Elkton-area res­i­dence in 2014.

Re­tired Ce­cil County Cir­cuit Court Judge V. Michael Whe­lan im­posed a max­i­mum 30-year sen­tence on the de­fen­dant, Ti­mothy Roland Web­ster Jr., 30, and then sus­pended half of it.

Web­ster, whose last ad­dress is listed in court records as the 600 block of Ab­bott Drive near Elkton, pleaded guilty to at­tempted sec­ond-de­gree mur­der in March, as part of a plea deal in which prose­cu­tors dropped the most se­ri­ous charge, at­tempted first-de­gree mur­der, and four other counts.


Whe­lan or­dered Web­ster to serve five years of su­per vised pro­ba­tion after com­plet­ing his 15-year term, which he will serve in a Mary­land Depart­ment of Cor­rec­tions pri­son. Web­ster must serve seven and a half years of his sen­tence be­fore he would be el­i­gi­ble for his first pa­role board hear­ing.

As­sis­tant State’s At­tor­ney Mary Bur­nell had rec­om­mended a 30-year sen­tence for Web­ster.

His as­sis­tant public de­fender, John Buck, had re­quested a penalty within state sen­tenc­ing guide­lines, which set a range of eight to 15 years of ac­tive in­car­cera- tion for Web­ster. State sen­tenc­ing guide­lines are based on a de­fen­dant’s crim­i­nal record and other fac­tors.

Web­ster stabbed his 55-year-old girl­friend sev­eral times around 5 a.m. on May 11, 2014, at her res­i­dence in the 100 block of Ar­bu­tus Road, off Old­field Point Road south­west of Elkton, dur­ing an ar­gu­ment, prose­cu­tors re­ported.

The wounded woman was able to reach a neigh­bor, who called 911, as Web­ster fled in a pickup truck, prose­cu­tors said. An am­bu­lance trans­ported the woman to Chris­tiana Hos­pi­tal in Delaware, where she ar­rived in crit­i­cal con­di­tion, prose­cu­tors added. The vic­tim has since re­cov­ered.

Shortly after the in­ci­dent, Web­ster spurred a mas­sive man­hunt when a Ce­cil County Sher­iff’s Of­fice deputy spot­ted an east­bound Chevro­let Sil­ver­ado driven by Web­ster on Old­field Point Road, a short dis­tance from where the in­ci­dent had oc­curred, and tried to stop it, po­lice re­ported.

Web­ster, how­ever, sped away and was able to elude the deputy and other of­fi­cers who had re­ceived the be-on-the-look­out bul­letin, after he bailed from the truck and ran into the Hollingsworth Manor neigh­bor­hood, ac­cord­ing to po­lice.

Web­ster re­mained on the lam for two days, be­fore the Mary­land State Po­lice Ap­pre­hen­sion Team cap­tured him about 9 p.m. on May 13 at a mo­tel in Bear, Del., with the as­sis­tance of Delaware au­thor­i­ties, po­lice said.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.