Charlestown to receive reimbursement from FEMA
— Even as summer approaches, the aftermath of Winter Storm Jonas remains on the minds of town officials.
Charlestown officials re-
cently learned the town will receive a reimbursement from the Federal Emergency Management Agency for money spent to clean up the January storm.
Earlier in the year, FEMA approved the state’s request for a disaster declaration. Locally, the Jan. 22 storm dumped some 20 inches of snow in blizzard conditions, which stymied even the most seasoned snowplow operators.
Renee Capano, president or Charlestown’s Town Board of Commissioners, announced via her Facebook page that the town will receive a little less than $7,000 from FEMA.
“I’m glad,” said Capano about the reimbursement.
The storm caused the cost of snow removal, overtime, contractors and equipment to quickly add up. Capano said the town budgeted around $3,000 for snow removal in the fiscal year 2016 budget.
The town spent a little over $9,000 on Winter Storm Jonas maintenance, said Janine Antoshak, town clerk. Now, about 75 percent of the cost of maintenance for the storm will be covered, with the other 25 percent coming from the town’s budgeted money for snow removal, Antoshak said.
The town learned of the FEMA reimbursement in a letter dated May 13, so the money should come through within four weeks of that date, said Wib Pumpaly, town administrator. Had the reimbursement not come through, the money would have had to come out of the fiscal budget, Pumpaly said.
Pumpaly said the town found out about the reimbursement from the county’s Department of Emergency Services. Earlier in the year, about four FEMA employees were sent to the town to go over expenses that incurred, Pumpaly said. In a similar situation, FEMA handled another reimbursement to the town about three or four years ago, Pumpaly added.