Lo­cal man found guilty in Elk­ton mo­lesta­tion case

Cecil Whig - - LOCAL - By CARL HAMIL­TON

ca­hamil­ton@ce­cil­whig.com

— A man is fac­ing up to 35 years in prison af­ter a Ce­cil County Cir­cuit Court jury con­victed him of two charges re­lat­ing to the sex­ual abuse of a girl inside an Elk­ton home on nu­mer­ous oc­ca­sions over a four-year pe­riod — start­ing when she was 6.

Juror de­lib­er­ated ap­prox­i­mately 90 min­utes Tues­day at the end of a two-day trial, be­fore find­ing the de­fen­dant, Julius Thomas Devin­centz Jr., 52, guilty of child sex abuse and sec­ond­de­gree as­sault. As­sis­tant State’s At­tor­ney Emily Alt pros­e­cuted the case, with as­sis­tance from As­sis­tance

ELK­TON

State’s At­tor­ney Mary Bur­nell.

Ce­cil County Cir­cuit Court Ad­min­is­tra­tive Judge Keith A. Baynes re­voked Devin­centz’ bond af­ter the jury had re­turned the guilty ver­dicts against him. Devin­centz had been held in the Ce­cil County De­ten­tion Cen­ter in lieu of bond since his ar­rest in Novem­ber.

Sen­tenc­ing for Devin­centz is set for Aug. 31.

“Despite re­cent events, I hope that this con­vic­tion gives the pub­lic con­fi­dence that the staff of the State’s At­tor­ney’s Of­fice is com­mit­ted to com­pe­tently and ag­gres­sively pros­e­cut­ing crim­i­nal of­fenses in Ce­cil County,” said Deputy State’s At­tor­ney Steven Tros­tle, ref- erenc­ing the re­cent ar­rest of Ce­cil County State’s At­tor­ney Ed­ward D. E. “El­lis” Rollins III and the charges filed against him.

This marks the se­cond child sex abuse con­vic­tion for Devin­centz, who, in Novem­ber 2013, re­ceived a one-year jail term for a child sex abuse con­vic­tion and a sus­pended 10-year sen­tence for a re­lated as­sault con­vic­tion.

The judge in that case also placed Devin­centz on five years of su­per­vised pro­ba­tion and or­dered him to reg­is­ter as a con­victed sex of­fender for 15 years. (Devin­centz’ con­vic­tions in that case re­late to of­fenses he com­mit­ted in Ce­cil County from Jan­uary 2004 through April 2012.)

In the crim­i­nal case re­sult­ing in Devin­centz’ guilty ver­dicts on Tues­day, he made the girl sit on his lap and in­ap­pro­pri­ately touched her while he watched pornog­ra­phy on a desk­top com­puter, po­lice said. He also stood ac­cused of “mum­bling sex­ual stuff un­der his breath” to the child and lob­by­ing for her to take off her top, po­lice added.

Court doc­u­ments in­di­cate that Devin­centz com­mit­ted those of­fenses on nu­mer­ous oc­ca­sions from Jan­uary 2008 through De­cem­ber 2012, start­ing when the girl was “6 or 7 years old” and end­ing when she was 11 or 12 years old.

Elk­ton Po­lice De­part­ment Det. Lind­sey Ziegen­fuss started her in­ves­ti­ga­tion in Septem­ber af­ter the girl, now 14, re­ported the sex­ual abuse while liv­ing in a group home, where she was re­ceiv­ing coun­sel­ing, ac­cord­ing to court records.

At that time, in ac­cor­dance with his sen­tence in his pre­vi­ous child sex abuse case, Devin­centz’ photo and case in­for­ma­tion ap­peared on the Ce­cil County Sex Of­fender Reg­istry along with scores of other con­victed sex of­fend­ers who were liv­ing in Ce­cil County. Devin­centz was liv­ing in Elk­ton.

The in­ves­ti­ga­tor in­ter­viewed the girl at the Ce­cil County Child Ad­vo­cacy Cen­ter in Elk­ton on Sept. 25, court records show.

“From re­view of pre­vi­ous in­ves­ti­ga­tions and other state­ments made by (the girl), her dis­clo­sures about the sex­ual abuse are all very con­sis­tent with one an­other and she ap­pears very cred­i­ble in the abuse that oc­curred,” Ziegen­fuss wrote in her state­ment of prob­a­ble cause.

Dur­ing this week’s trial, the vic­tim tes­ti­fied against Devin­centz, who later de­clined to tes­tify in his own de­fense.

Ziegen­fuss also in­ter­viewed Devin­centz, who ac­knowl­edged that he had been bat­tling al­co­holism and pe­dophil­iac ten­den­cies, specif­i­cally a “sex ad­dic­tion to girls” when he was drunk, po­lice re­ported.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.