Troopers rescue seniors from fire
jbellmyer@ cecilwhig. com
— Six Maryland State Troopers assigned to the North East barrack have been recognized for their quick lifesaving actions during the Thursday night fire at Victoria Park apartments.
The fire — blamed on unattended cooking — was reported around 11 p. m. in the senior citizen apartments at 520 S. Main Street. Det. Sgt. Corbin at the North East barrack said troopers responded quickly.
“One of the troopers was in North East and overheard the call,” Corbin said Friday. Arriving at the scene and seeing flames and heavy smoke he quickly called for support from fellow troopers.
“Two shifts came over and ran in before the fire department got there,” Corbin said.
Five residents were evacuated from the building by the troopers.
“They picked up and carried, or helped them down the stairs,” Corbin said.
Cpl. DaVaughn Parker, spokesman for the Maryland State Police, said it was a selfless act.
“Without any equipment or anything they ran in there ... to see who they could get out,” Parker said.
Howard Ewing, spokesman for the North East Volunteer Fire Company, said the fire was contained to the second floor apartment and caused about $ 5,000 in damage. Another $ 5,000 in damage was estimated to the contents of the apartment building. Ewing said the automatic sprinklers did much of the fire suppression.
No lives were lost and injuries were minor.
One trooper was cough- ing and one had soot marks on his face, Corbin said, but all six went back on duty afterward.
For their actions, all six have been nominated for the Life Saving Award.
“They got there and ran in without thinking,” Parker said. “They had to be commended for their selfless act.”
However, the actual award is a year away and Parker said the troopers are not being identified by the barrack commander at this time.