Three-goal sec­ond half leads Tigers past Ea­gles


Spe­cial to the Whig

With Ris­ing Sun nurs­ing a one-goal half­time lead against vis­it­ing Bo­hemia Manor, Tigers coach Dy lan A i man stressed to his team that they could not let the Ea­gles linger in the game.

His play­ers payed at­ten­tion, re­spond­ing quickly out of half­time as Jil­lian Seay scored four min­utes into the sec­ond half to make


it a two-goal game. The Tigers cruised from there to earn a 4-1 vic­tory over Bo Manor in non­di­vi­sional girls’ soc­cer ac­tion on Thurs­day.

“The dis­cus­sion at half­time was the longer that it’s go­ing to be 1-0, the harder it’s go­ing to be for us and the more they’re go­ing to be in the game,” Ai­man said. “We wanted to take them out of the game as soon as we can. The early goal in the sec­ond half kind of set the stage for us.”

Ris­ing Sun, which led 1-0 at the break, con­trolled pos­ses­sion in the early stages of the sec­ond half and kept the ball deep in its at­tack­ing half. Even­tu­ally the ball found its way to the foot of Seay, who kicked it into the net to make it 2-0.

“We put our heads to­gether and told our­selves that we were done with a 1-0 game,” Seay said of the Tigers’ mind­set com­ing out of half­time.

Ris­ing Sun kept con­trol­ling pos­ses­sion and gen­er­ated sev­eral chances in the sec­ond half, but it took 33 more min­utes be­fore it could add an­other goal when Seay made it a three-goal con­test with her sec­ond tally in the 77th minute.

Natalie Gin­ski headed a crossed cor­ner kick two min­utes later to give Ris­ing Sun a 4-0 ad­van­tage in the 79th minute.

Bo Manor got on the board with 10 sec­onds left in the game when Maken­zie Stal­lone’s shot found the back of the net.

Ea­gles head coach Lissy Haney said the late goal was in­dica­tive of the ef­fort her team showed through­out the game.

“It was just work rate at this point. I’m re­ally proud of the girls with the way they stepped up. Ris­ing Sun is one of the bet­ter teams that we will see all sea­son,” Haney said. “To me, it was more like a 2-0 game, and to be two goals away for 75 min­utes from one of the best teams we play, I’m happy with that. We can roll with that, and we can im­prove from here.

“Just the fact that we scored a goal with 10 sec­onds re­main­ing show the girls never quit. I will take that over any­thing else.”

An­na­lia Webb scored the Tigers’ first goal in the game’s third minute, putting in a re­bound.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.