Golden Elks edge In­di­ans on Bosler’s late penalty kick


Spe­cial to the Whig

— Sec­ond chances don’t oc­cur of­ten, but the Elk­ton boys were thrilled to get one.

Fresh­man for­ward Jake Bosler un­of­fi­cially hit the back of the net twice for the Golden Elks, but only his sec­ond penalty kick


ac­tu­ally counted. That was the dif­fer­ence in the vis­i­tors’ 1-0 Susque­hanna Di­vi­sion win over North East on Mon­day night.

Pre­mium scor­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties were hard to come by given the chilly air and soggy field, but Elk­ton (8-1) got the big break when Bosler was tripped up in­side the box with 13:49 left to play. He nailed his first penalty kick with ease, but he was forced to re-kick when a vi­o­la­tion was called on one of his team­mates. He aimed for the same spot to the left of goal­keeper Tyler Copen, and ball zipped by a div­ing Copen to fi­nally end the score­less stale­mate.

“Just do the same side be­cause he thinks I’m go­ing to the other side,” Bosler said about his re­kick. “We’re not an amaz­ing firsthalf team, but our sec­ond half was a lot bet­ter.”

The vic­tory was key for a Golden Elks squad with a post­sea­son berth in its sight, and it was also the Elks’ fifth shutout of the sea­son.

“Any county win is big for us,” Elk­ton head coach Josh Mar­ley said. “They’re al­ways scrappy, they’re al­ways close. We’re re­ally or­ga­nized in the back and the guys did a good job of keep­ing their shape, track­ing run­ners and mark­ing up when they needed to.”

Both teams strug­gled to find a rhythm in the first half, and sev­eral play­ers fre­quently found them­selves face­down on the slip­pery grass.

Pos­ses­sion con­tin­ued to elude both sides in the sec­ond half, though by the end of the game, Elk­ton led in shots on goal 9-1.

North East (3-5-1) pushed hard in the fi­nal min­utes, get­ting the ball into the box sev­eral times, but the Elk­ton de­fense man­aged to clear the ball ev­ery time. In­di­ans head coach Mark Kalwa praised his play­ers’ per­for­mance on se­nior night against a team that en­tered with just one loss.

“Know­ing we were play­ing on a slip­pery field, we just had to con­tain them,” he said. “I thought we played pretty solid across the back and the mid­field. We had a lot of chances but we just couldn’t put the ball in the net. It’s un­for­tu­nate it was de­cided by a penalty kick, but this was re­ally the best game we’ve played all year.”

Mar­ley said he was glad to see his play­ers pull out a win on a dif­fi­cult night.

“It was just one of the games where we didn’t have it,” he said. “We grinded it out and got away with a 1-0 win, so we’re happy with the re­sult.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.