Fire de­stroys out­build­ing at Ear­leville camp­ground

Cecil Whig - - FRONT PAGE - By CARL HAMILTON

EAR­LEVILLE

ca­hamil­ton@ce­cil­whig.com

— A heat lamp ig­nited nearby com­bustibles and trig­gered a blaze that ripped through an out­build­ing at a year­round camp­ground com­mu­nity in Ear­leville on Tues­day morn­ing, gut­ting the struc­ture and de­stroy­ing all the prop­erty in­side of it, ac­cord­ing to the Mary­land State Fire Mar­shal’s Of­fice.

It also melted the vinyl sid­ing on the ends of two nearby mo­bile homes, which fire­fight­ers sprayed with water while bat­tling the blaze to pre­vent the fire from spread­ing to them.

MSFMO de­tec­tives con­cluded that the fire in Glen 4, Lot 106, at In­dian Acres of Ch­e­sa­peake Bay was ac­ci­den­tal, fire of­fi­cials said. They blamed it on a heat lamp hav­ing been placed “too close to com­bustibles” in­side the struc­ture, fire of­fi­cials added.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors re­ported that the blaze de­stroyed the 20-by-15-foot out­build­ing, which had an es­ti­mated value of $5,000, and ap­prox­i­mately $5,000 in prop­erty in­side the struc­ture. In­ves­ti­ga­tors iden­ti­fied Au­drey Ca­ton and Lawrence Weaver as the prop­erty own­ers.

One of the own­ers called 911 shortly be­fore 11 a.m. Tues­day after notic­ing flames and smoke com­ing from the side-yard out­build­ing, ac­cord­ing to fire of­fi­cials.

“It was en­gulfed in flames when we ar­rived,” said Ja­son Reamy, as­sis­tant chief for Ce­cil­ton Vol­un­teer Fire Co., which served as the com­mand unit at the scene.

Ap­prox­i­mately 20 fire­fight­ers with vol­un­teer fire com­pa­nies from Ce­cil­ton, Galena and Mid­dle­town, Del., bat­tled the blaze for about 20 min­utes be­fore bring­ing it un­der con­trol, ac­cord­ing to Reamy.

The own­ers had used the struc­ture to store tools and other equip­ment, Reamy said. It also had a lounge or recre­ational area, which Reamy de­scribed as a “man cave,” and there was a wood-stove in there, he added.

An MSFMO de­tec­tive was dis­patched to the scene to con­duct an on­site in­ves­ti­ga­tion. Sev­eral hours later, the agency clas­si­fied the fire as “ac­ci­den­tal” and re­ported that the place­ment of the heat lamp caused the blaze.

PHOTO COURTESY OF CE­CIL­TON VOL­UN­TEER FIRE CO.

Flames con­sume this out­build­ing in Ear­leville and its con­tents on Tues­day morn­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.