Fire marshal offers safety tips for holiday cooking
— County residents are cautioned to take steps to stay safe while cooking their Thanksgiving dinner this year.
Twenty kitchen-related fires were reported on Thanksgiving in the state last year, said Senior Deputy Bruce Bouch, spokesperson for the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal.
That was three more than were reported in the state for 2014.
In order to prevent fire incidents, the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office offered the following safety tips for families who are using a variety of ways to prepare their holiday meal.
are working properly by testing them. Also, make sure guests know where exits are in case of a fire and have them meet at a designated location outside.
fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop to watch the food.
& Pets Free Zone,” around any area where hot foods or drinks are prepared.
the stove and countertop to avoid spills. cooking to smother small grease fires. To put out the fire, slide the lid over the pan and turn the burner off and leave the pan covered until it has cooled.
such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging and towels away from the stovetop.
kitchen. Make sure the work area is clean, which allows for better efficiency and a decrease in chances for mishaps.
out of the reach of children.
unattended or in places where there is a chance they can be knocked over by children or pets.
zone around any portable zone free of combustible materials and block children and pets from getting too close.
Turkey fryer safety tips include:
can be easily tipped over, which allows for hot oil spillage. Place the appliances on a hard, level and non-combustible outdoor surface.
fryer under an overhang or temporary roof because a flare can ignite materials above the appliance.
thoroughly thawed before cooking because partially frozen turkeys can cause a spillage and cause a flareup.
placing the turkey in the container. Re-ignite the burner after you are sure it is safe to do so.
temperature of the oil. It can easily reach temperatures to the point of combustion.
the fryer. Follow manufacturer’s guidelines for proper filling levels.
get dangerously hot. Use well insulated potholders or oven mitts.
unattended while cooking.
on hand. Do not use water in an attempt to extinguish a grease fire.
please ensure to close the doors on your way out,”
open allows oxygen to feed the fire allowing it to grow.”
He also suggested that family members invite their family and guests to discuss their good and bad experiences while cooking dinner, so that people can learn from each other, during the holiday meal.
If combustible items such as this rag are left unattended and near the stovetop, it could result in a fire.
A turkey fryer is capable of starting a fire and users are advised to exercise caution.