In­di­ans’ two-game win streak snapped by un­de­feated Co­bras

Cecil Whig - - SPORTS - By KEVIN PHILLIPS Spe­cial to the Whig

NORTH EAST — The North East foot­ball team en­tered Fri­day’s bat­tle against vis­it­ing third- ranked Har­ford Tech rid­ing high after win­ning its last two games.

The In­di­ans were stymied through­out by the un­de­feated, and well-rounded, Co­bras, who re­fused to let North East sus­tain mo­men­tum en route to a 28-6 Susque­hanna Divi­sion loss.

“We moved the ball at times, but that’s a good foot­ball team. They’re a very good foot­ball team. They run their stack blitz well, and they dis­guise it. That makes it hard for of­fen­sive line­men,” In­di­ans head coach Chris Sch­le­ich said. “Some­times, that just hap­pens. I’m proud of the way my team played. I felt like it was a back-and-forth fight.”

North East (2-4 over­all, 2-1 divi­sion) turned the ball over twice in its first three pos­ses­sions, and Har­ford Tech (6-0, 2-0) made the In­di­ans pay after the sec­ond turnover, as La­day Cooper caught a Ryan Hunt pass for a 60-yard touch­down. The ex­tra­point gave the Co­bras a 7-0 lead mid­way through the first quar­ter.

On the en­su­ing pos­ses­sion, North East moved the ball into Har­ford Tech ter­ri­tory, but a three-and-out ended the drive with­out any points.

“We have to learn to come out of­fen­sively. We [were] slow against Jop­pa­towne, slow against Pat­ter­son Mill, and we have to learn to come out of­fen­sive fir­ing quicker,” Sch­le­ich said. “That’s an Achilles heel that we have to im­prove on down the stretch.”

The Co­bras re­sponded with an­other scor­ing drive as they cov­ered 59 yards on eight plays, end­ing the march with a 13-yard touch­down run by Jeremiah Danger­field that made it 14-0 with 9:59 left in the sec­ond quar­ter.

The In­di­ans made it a one-touch­down game on the sec­ond play of their next pos­ses­sion when Tay­lor Danglad raced his way for a 45-yard touch­down mid­way through the sec­ond quar­ter.

Har­ford Tech in­creased its lead to 21-6 with less than two min­utes left in the half when Jeremiah Min­ter scored on an 8-yard run, set up by a blocked punt the play prior.

The Co­bras later put the game out of reach in the third quar­ter when Hunt scored on a quar­ter­back sneak.

While the loss snapped the In­di­ans’ two-game win­ning streak, the school re­mains in strong po­si­tion in the Susque­hanna Divi­sion with four games re­main­ing.

“I said we wanted to be in the thick of things go­ing down the stretch in the divi­sion, and we are. We can bat­tle Bo Manor, Ris­ing Sun, Per­ryville, and for us, we can end up with a win­ning record, maybe sec­ond place, maybe th­ese guys [Har­ford Tech] lose. We’re ac­com­plish­ing the goals that we set. If we keep work­ing and fight­ing hard, good things are go­ing to come,” Sch­le­ich said. “Tonight wasn’t a let down. I wish we would have won, but we lost to a very ath­letic, hard-hit­ting, good foot­ball team. Re­spect is given to them.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.