Man wanted in Ce­cil found with drugs at Ne­wark mo­tel

Cecil Whig - - OBITUARIES & REGIONAL - By JOSH SHAN­NON Spe­cial from the Post

Less than two years after he promised to turn his life around and tear­fully pleaded with a judge for le­niency, a man wanted in two states was caught car­ry­ing drugs at a Main Street mo­tel, po­lice said.

Ac­cord­ing to Lt. Fred Nel­son, a spokesman for the Ne­wark Po­lice Depart­ment, of­fi­cers got a tip that Ne­wark-area res­i­dent Xavier McGhee, 25, was at the Su­per 8 Mo­tel at 268 E. Main St. Po­lice ar­rested him with­out in­ci­dent in the mo­tel’s park­ing lot at 10 a.m. Tues­day.

Of­fi­cers found 131 bag­gies of sus­pected heroin on his per­son as well as 12 grams of sus­pected crack co­caine and 115 grams of sus­pected mar­i­juana in his mo­tel room, Nel­son said.

McGhee was charged with sev­eral counts of pos­ses­sion with in­tent to de­liver a con­trolled sub­stance with an ag­gra­vat­ing fac­tor, Nel­son said, not­ing that the ag­gra­vat­ing fac­tor was the prox­im­ity to the New Ark United Church of Christ. McGhee was com­mit­ted to the Howard Young Cor­rec­tion In­sti­tu­tion after fail­ing to post $30,000 se­cured bond.

Nel­son said McGhee was wanted in Mont­gomery County, Pa., for flee­ing and elud­ing po­lice and in Ce­cil County for vi­o­lat­ing pro­ba­tion.

The Mary­land pro­ba­tion stems from a Novem­ber 2015 ar­rest in Elkton in which he was found in pos­ses­sion of heroin dur­ing a traffic stop on Elkton Road.

Dur­ing the traffic stop, McGhee got out of the front pas­sen­ger’s side and ran away to­ward a nearby McDon­ald’s. Un­be­knownst to McGhee, he was run­ning to­ward two K-9 of­fi­cers, both of whom hap­pened to be in the McDon­ald’s park­ing lot while han­dling an un­re­lated mat­ter.

McGhee turned away from the K-9 of­fi­cers after spot­ting them and ran through a grassy area to­ward Elkton Road, while toss­ing white bundles con­tain­ing heroin onto the ground. The of­fi­cers chased McGhee who, after run­ning only a short dis­tance, stopped and raised his arms in sur­ren­der.

In March 2016, a Ce­cil County judge sen­tenced McGhee to 20 years in prison but sus­pended most of it, giv­ing him only 18 months to serve. The pros­e­cu­tor had asked for five years of ac­tive in­car­cer­a­tion.

Dur­ing his sen­tenc­ing, McGhee tear­fully apol­o­gized to his fam­ily mem­bers. He thanked them for “still be­liev­ing” in him and for sup­port­ing him and vowed that he would change his life for the bet­ter.

“He was con­trite. He wept openly. His fam­ily mem­bers clearly care for him, and he clearly cares for them. They spoke on his be­half and showed their sup­port for him. You don’t see that very of­ten,” his lawyer, Ed­ward A. Ri­chitelli, said after the hear­ing. “I be­lieve the judge took all of that into con­sid­er­a­tion and gave my client a break. Hope­fully, he will get on the right path now.”

If con­victed of vi­o­lat­ing his pro­ba­tion, McGhee could be sen­tenced to serve the re­main­ing 18.5 years of his orig­i­nal sen­tence.

Re­porter Carl Hamil­ton con­trib­uted to this ar­ti­cle.



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.