Playoff teams fill top 5 in final poll
Six of the top eight teams will be competing in next weekend’s MPSSAA region playoffs in this week’s edition of the UCBAC Football Power Poll. Fifth-ranked Elkton and No. 8 Bo Manor will represent Cecil County in the postseason (record and last week’s rankings in parentheses).
1. Harford Tech (10-0, 1) — After a perfect, 10-0, regular season, the Cobras will play in their first-ever playoff game on Friday—a home contest against Elkton in the 2A East Region semifinals.
2. Edgewood (7-3, 2) — The Rams rattle off six wins a row to lock up the third seed in the 3A North Region playoffs. They’ll open the postseason on the road against Franklin.
3. Havre de Grace ( 9- 3, 3) — The Warriors now turn their focus to making the 1A state championship game for a third-straight year. They’ll host Cambridge-South Dorchester in the 1A East Region semifinals.
4. C.M. Wright ( 7- 3, 5) — Huge win for the Mustangs, who take down Elkton to punch their ticket to the 3A North Region playoffs. They’ll play top-seeded Milford Mill in the opening round.
5. Elkton (8-2, 4) — Needing a win to play at home next week, the Golden Elks suffered a loss to close out the regular season. Now they’ll play on the road against Harford Tech to kick off what they hope is a return trip to the 2A state championship.
6. Bel Air (5-5, 6) — The Bobcats will miss the playoffs after failing to produce a winning record.
7. North East (6-4, 7) —Congratulations to head coach Chris Schleich, who leads the Indians to their first winning season since 2002.
8. Bo Manor (6-4, 9) — With a shutout over rival Perryville, the Eagles secure their sixth-straight trip to the postseason. They’ll host Col. Richardson in the 1A East Region semifinals.
9. North Harford ( 4- 6, 8) — The Hawks will finish under .500 following a season-finale loss to Havre de Grace.
10. Perr yville ( 6- 4, 10) — After a 6-1 start, the Panthers lose three straight and will miss the playoffs.
11. Aberdeen (3-7, 11) — The Eagles close out the regular season with five consecutive losses.
12. Fallston (3-7, 12) — After a 3-0 start to the season, the Cougars go winless in Chesapeake Division play.
13. Patterson Mill ( 3- 7, 13) — The Huskies will have plenty of momentum heading into next year after ending the season with three-straight wins.
14. Rising Sun (1-9, 14) — Rich Opp steps down as head coach of the Tigers after five seasons on the sidelines. His best year was in 2015, when Rising Sun finished 6-4.
15. Joppatowne (0-10, 15) — The Mariners are completely railroaded by Harford Tech, and end the year without a win.
Follow the 2017 UCBAC football season on Twitter: @UCBACFootball
Bohemia Manor quarterback Johnny Knight looks for a receiver Friday during the Eagles’ 28-0 win over host Perryville.