Man ar­rested for shoot­ing in Zaxby’s park­ing lot

Chattanooga Times Free Press - - OPINION - BY TYLER JETT STAFF WRITER Con­tact staff writer Tyler Jett at 423757-6476 or tjett@times­freep­ Fol­low him on Twit­ter @Let­sJett.

A Chatsworth, Ga., man was ar­rested over the week­end af­ter al­legedly shoot­ing at a truck in a Zaxby’s park­ing lot.

Ac­cord­ing to a Dal­ton Police Depart­ment in­ci­dent re­port, Joshua Matthew Hayes and Cal­lum Austin Speck got into an ar­gu­ment Saturday af­ter­noon when they left a birth­day party for Speck’s son. Hayes said he was lean­ing against his red Kia Op­tima, smok­ing a cig­a­rette, when Speck walked by car­ry­ing his son’s plas­tic four-wheeler.

Hayes asked Speck if the two had a prob­lem. Speck said no. Af­ter that, their ac­counts dif­fer. Speck said Hayes told him to meet in the nearby Zaxby’s park­ing lot on Air­port Road “so we can set­tle this.” Hayes, mean­while, said Speck cursed at him and then fol­lowed Hayes’ fam­ily to the fast-food restau­rant.

Hayes said he and Speck are dat­ing sis­ters, and he told the police the root of the ar­gu­ment was a Face­book com­ment. Speck had posted a pic­ture of his new house, and Hayes wrote a com­ment, say­ing the home was “beau­ti­ful.” For some rea­son, which is not ex­plained in the police re­port, Speck then texted Hayes.

Al­legedly, Speck wrote, “I hope u [sic] like the taste of AK 47’s [sic] and shot­gun­shells [sic].”

On Saturday af­ter­noon, in the Zaxby’s park­ing lot, Hayes said he was walk­ing to­ward the restau­rant when Speck revved the en­gine of his truck. Hayes said he fired two shots of his Tau­rus .40-cal­iber pis­tol in the air and pointed his gun at Speck.

“Go on,” Hayes said.

Then Speck backed out of the park­ing lot and drove away.

But Speck gave a dif­fer­ent ac­count. Rather than shoot­ing in the air, he said Hayes shot to­ward his truck twice. Speck then tried to back out of the park­ing lot, and Hayes fired two more shots at him. None hit him or the truck, and Speck drove away. A wit­ness at the restau­rant told police this ac­count was ac­cu­rate.

Ac­cord­ing to the in­ci­dent re­port, Speck then called 911, and an of­fi­cer found him at a nearby gas sta­tion, cry­ing. An­other of­fi­cer later went to Hayes’ house. He wasn’t home, but he later agreed to meet an of­fi­cer at the Murray County Jail.

There, Dal­ton police charged Hayes with four counts of ag­gra­vated as­sault, as well as reck­less con­duct and pos­ses­sion of a firearm dur­ing the com­mis­sion of a felony. He re­mained at the Whit­field County Jail on Tues­day with­out a bond.

A cou­ple of hours af­ter the shoot­ing, Speck wrote on his Face­book page: “Shot a 40. [sic] At me 4 times and missed ev­ery shot I hope u [sic] get what’s com­ing cause [sic] I told u [sic] I didnt [sic] want any prob­lems on my baby boys [sic] birth­day.”

Joshua Matthew Hayes

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.