Baby, adult rescued in fire
A 1- year- old baby was among two people rescued in a fire Wednesday night in the 5600 block of South Damen in the West Englewood neighborhood.
The fire was put out by 9: 30 p. m. Crews rescued a baby and an adult, the only occupants, the Fire Department said. The baby was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in serious condition with injuries from smoke inhalation.
A space heater too close to flammable material appeared to be the origin of the fire, the Fire Department said. The apartment building also had no working smoke detectors.