Judge blocks removal of more Confederate statues in Richmond
RICHMOND, Va. — A judge issued a 60day injunction Thursday barring the city of Richmond from removing any more Confederate monuments, a process that began last week after Mayor Levar Stoney ordered the statues cleared away amid weeks of protests over police brutality and racism.
Richmond Circuit Court Judge Bradley Cavedo issued the decision after a hearing in a lawsuit filed Tuesday by an unnamed plaintiff, local media reported. The lawsuit asked for an injunction to halt the removal of the statues and alleged that Stoney violated state law by ordering their immediate removal.
“We disagree. We’re disappointed. We did the right thing,” Jim Nolan, Stoney’s spokesman, said in a statement.
Also Thursday, Nolan said that family members of tennis legend Arthur Ashe have requested that his statue be removed from Richmond’s prestigious Monument Avenue.
“Ashe family members made the request during the recent period of civil unrest. The matter is still under consideration and we continue to have discussions with the family regarding their wishes,” he said in a statement.
Crews on Wednesday work to remove the Confederate Soldiers & Sailors Monument in Libby Hill Park in Richmond, Virginia.