‘Field of Dreams’ game scrapped

Chicago Sun-Times - - SPORTS - BY DARYL VAN SCHOUWEN, STAFF RE­PORTER dvan­schouwen@sun­times.com @CST_­sox­van

The White Sox’ ‘‘Field of Dreams’’ game Aug. 13 against the Car­di­nals in the Iowa corn­fields has been can­celed, and that’s a bum­mer for re­liever Aaron Bum­mer.

‘‘I’m sad,’’ Bum­mer said Mon­day. ‘‘It would be pretty awe­some to be out there. I’m from Omaha, so I know fam­ily mem­bers and peo­ple in Ne­braska were ex­cited for that game to get some more base­ball into the Mid­west. But if that’s the safest de­ci­sion, I’m com­pletely on board with it . . . .

‘‘Hope­fully we get to be a part of it next year.’’

Slated for Dy­ersville, Iowa, near the lo­ca­tion of the ‘‘Field of Dreams’’ movie, the game was a home date on the Sox’ sched­ule and likely will be played at Guaranteed Rate Field. Aug. 14 is an open date, with the Car­di­nals sched­uled to play the Sox on Aug. 15 and 16 in Chicago.

A tem­po­rary 8,000-seat sta­dium was un­der con­struc­tion for the game. But ask­ing play­ers to make an ex­tra trip dur­ing the coro­n­avirus pan­demic and tak­ing ad­di­tional lo­gis­ti­cal pre­cau­tions was a lot to ex­pect, es­pe­cially of the Car­di­nals, whose sched­uled four-game se­ries against the Tigers in Detroit was post­poned Mon­day.

The Car­di­nals have had 13 mem­bers of their or­ga­ni­za­tion test pos­i­tive for the coro­n­avirus in the last week — seven play­ers and six staff mem­bers.

The ‘‘Field of Dreams’’ game might live to see another day, with the ex­pec­ta­tion of a game in 2021 fea­tur­ing the Sox and an op­po­nent to be de­ter­mined.

Lam­bert’s sea­son likely over

The Sox trans­ferred righthande­r Jimmy Lam­bert to the 45-day in­jured list. Lam­bert, who was com­ing off Tommy John surgery, was side­lined with a strained right fore­arm af­ter only two ap­pear­ances.

‘‘Right now, it’s just a fore­arm strain,’’ man­ager Rick Ren­te­ria said. ‘‘They be­lieve with rest and treat­ment he’ll be able to re­bound. It looked like it was go­ing to be six weeks, so it made sense to go through the healing process. He’ll be re-eval­u­ated at that point and see where he’s at.’’

Wel­come back, Clay­ton Richard

The Sox signed left-han­der Clay­ton Richard to a mi­nor­league deal and as­signed him to their train­ing site in Schaum­burg.

An eighth-round draft pick by the Sox in 2005, Richard ap­peared in 39 games for them in 2008 and 2009 be­fore go­ing to the Padres in the Jake Peavy trade. He posted a 5.96 ERA in 10 starts for the Blue Jays in 2019.

Short stint for Mercedes

To make room for out­fielder No­mar Mazara on the 30-man ros­ter, the Sox op­tioned catcher Yer­min Mercedes to Schaum­burg. Mercedes had been called up Fri­day, and he grounded out as a pinch hit­ter Sun­day.

COVID con­cerns

Bum­mer, on con­clud­ing a three­city road trip in Mil­wau­kee in the midst of a pan­demic: ‘‘We’ve got a lot of trust in each other. And at the end of the day, we’ve got to trust our­selves and kind of put the team first for a bit.

‘‘Whether it means putting our­selves in a lit­tle bub­ble on the road, where we’re not re­ally leav­ing the ho­tel or not re­ally do­ing any­thing, those are all the things we’ve re­al­ized need to be done to keep the sea­son go­ing.’’

The Sox’ Jose Abreu (right) cel­e­brates with Eloy Jimenez af­ter hit­ting a two-run home run in the sev­enth in­ning Mon­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.