SouthwesternStyle Black Bean Burritos
SERVES 4. HANDS-ON TIME: 25 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES.
Make a batch of these protein-packed burritos on Sunday and store them in your fridge or freezer for heat-and-eat breakfasts or lunches throughout the week. To make sure your burrito is heated through, insert a paring knife into the center and hold it there for 10 seconds. If the blade is hot when it comes out, the burrito is ready. Serve with your favorite hot sauce.
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
6 cups lightly packed baby spinach
¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper, divided
8 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 large whole-grain tortillas
1 cup jarred all-natural salsa or pico de gallo
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
2. Add beans, spinach and 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until spinach is wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
3. In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil on medium. Add eggs and remaining 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until softly set, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a separate large bowl to cool.
4. Spoon one-quarter of bean mixture across center of 1 tortilla, leaving a 2-inch border uncovered on each edge. Top with one-quarter of each eggs, salsa and cheese.
5. Fold left and right edges of tortilla in over filling. Lift bottom edge of tortilla (edge closest to you) over filling; roll tightly upward. Mist a square of foil with cooking spray and wrap burrito tightly, oiled side facing burrito. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling ingredients.
(TIP: Refrigerate for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 1 month.)
6. To heat, preheat oven or toaster oven to 375°F. Arrange foil-wrapped burrito(s) on a baking sheet. Bake until heated through, 20 to 25 minutes. If frozen, bake 40 to 45 minutes.
PER SERVING (1 burrito): Calories: 567, Total Fat: 27 g, Sat. Fat: 9 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Carbs: 51 g, Fiber: 13 g, Sugars: 5.5 g, Protein: 32 g, Sodium: 896 mg, Cholesterol: 391 mg
COST PER PLATE: $ 2.38 TOTAL COST: $9.53