Kung Pao Cauliflower Stir-Fry
CAULIFLOWER 1∕4 cup arrowroot 1 large egg, lightly beaten 1 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari 1 tbsp garlic powder 1 tsp sesame oil 1∕2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
1 large head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets 1∕3 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped 1∕2 cup chopped green onions SAUCE 3-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced 6 cloves garlic, minced 3 tbsp chicken broth or water
2 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari 2 tbsp rice vinegar 2 tbsp raw honey 1 tbsp sesame oil 2 tsp arrowroot
1 tsp crushed Sichuan peppercorns (or black peppercorns)
1. Preheat oven 450°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Prepare cauliflower: In a large bowl, combine ¼ cup water with arrowroot. Add egg, tamari, garlic powder and oil; mix well. Stir in bread crumbs.
3. Working 1 floret at a time, coat cauliflower with bread crumb mixture. Lay florets on prepared sheet. Bake until golden and tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Prepare sauce: In a small saucepan on medium-high, add all sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer; cook until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
5. Drizzle sauce over cauliflower on sheet and gently toss to coat. Garnish with peanuts and green onions.
PER SERVING (11∕2 cups): Calories: 328, Total Fat: 13 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Carbs: 45 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 16 g, Protein: 13 g, Sodium: 627 mg, Cholesterol: 47 mg