Orange Sesame Chicken Bowl
SERVES 4. HANDS-ON TIME: 30 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES.
The balance of sweet and sour flavors, a keystone of Asian cooking, is the inspiration behind this bowl.
3 tbsp fresh orange juice
¼ cup sesame oil, divided
1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
7 oz brown rice vermicelli
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
3 tsp safflower or sunflower oil, divided
¼ cup raw honey
¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1½ tbsp orange zest + 1 cup fresh orange juice 2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp tapioca starch, mixed with ½ cup water
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp peeled and grated ginger
2 tbsp sesame seeds 1. Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven; preheat to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a shallow bowl, whisk 3 tbsp orange juice, 3 tbsp sesame oil and 1 tbsp soy sauce. Add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain; toss with 1 tbsp sesame oil.
4. Prepare sauce: To a medium saucepan, add all sauce ingredients except seeds. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, remove from heat and stir in seeds. Transfer ½ cup sauce to a jar; cover and refrigerate for Pineapple Chicken Stir-Fry (p. 62).
5. On 1 prepared sheet, toss potatoes, broccoli and 1 tsp safflower oil; spread in a single layer.
6. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat 1 tsp safflower oil. Add half of chicken and sear 2 minutes per side. Transfer to second prepared bake sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken and 1 tsp safflower oil; add to sheet. Spoon 3 tbsp sauce over chicken. Bake chicken in top third and vegetables in bottom third of oven until chicken is golden and cooked through, 15 minutes, and vegetables are tender and lightly browned, 20 minutes.
7. Slice chicken; transfer half of chicken to a plate. Let cool, cover and refrigerate for Pineapple Chicken Stir-Fry (p. 62). Divide noodles, potatoes, broccoli and remaining chicken among bowls. Drizzle with remaining sauce.
PER SERVING (¼ of recipe): Calories: 587, Total Fat: 19.5 g, Sat. Fat: 4 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7 g, Carbs: 73 g, Fiber: 6.5 g, Sugars: 18 g, Protein: 30 g, Sodium: 478 mg, Cholesterol: 104 mg